nuxvomica

Mayahuel

seems like we don't have a thread on this one. i've stopped in a few times when in the area and they have already added new cocktails. who knew mezcal and aperol go so well together.

there is a good smoky palomino cocktail, a rare good sherry cocktail. that said, bartender variation is an issue. i loved it the first time, the second time it was ok but not exactly inspired. something with inquisition in the name, was also good but details escape me (well, it was the last stop)

reminds me, tried a beer cocktail there a while back with infused mezcal. not enough mezcal

They served an excellent (very spicy) cocktail at the SOS benefit. I can't recall the details, but I enjoyed it.

My favorites are the whoopsy daisy and the watermelon sugar. Nux, the beer cocktail that you had - was it the El Jimador's Shifty? I love that one too. I think the other drink you mention is called an Italian Inquisition? The only think I remember about it (aside from the fact that it had tequila) is that it contains mole bitters.

They served an excellent (very spicy) cocktail at the SOS benefit. I can't recall the details, but I enjoyed it.

Was it the "short rib"? tequila infused with jalapeno and some pomegranite molasses are the dominating flavors. It's one of my favorites. It used to be on the menu at Death & Co.

Was it the "short rib"? tequila infused with jalapeno and some pomegranite molasses are the dominating flavors. It's one of my favorites. It used to be on the menu at Death & Co.

Yes! Thanks, spaetzle.

Was it the "short rib"? tequila infused with jalapeno and some pomegranate molasses are the dominating flavors. It's one of my favorites. It used to be on the menu at Death & Co.

Yes! Thanks, spaetzle.

You're welcome :) I believe you can still get it at both Death & Co and Mayahuel, even though it's not on the menu, as long as they have some pomegranate molasses behind the bar.

My favorites are the whoopsy daisy and the watermelon sugar. Nux, the beer cocktail that you had - was it the El Jimador's Shifty? I love that one too. I think the other drink you mention is called an Italian Inquisition? The only think I remember about it (aside from the fact that it had tequila) is that it contains mole bitters.

i don't think i had either. but, chances are, i'll end up going again :lol:

yup, that was the shifty (which i only had because they were not officially open yet and out of mezcal - that was the only mezcal drink they had that night. i could see it being very nice on a hot day and it was also layered, with more mezcal at the bottom. let's face it, i like mezcal. not beer.

and yes, that must have been the Italian Inquisition.

have you tried any of the food?

i don't think i had either. but, chances are, i'll end up going again :lol:

yup, that was the shifty (which i only had because they were not officially open yet and out of mezcal - that was the only mezcal drink they had that night. i could see it being very nice on a hot day and it was also layered, with more mezcal at the bottom. let's face it, i like mezcal. not beer.

and yes, that must have been the Italian Inquisition.

have you tried any of the food?

Yes - but only some of the food. Enjoyable without stealing the show from the cocktails. I very much enjoy the popcorn. The chips with guacamole and salsa are pretty good - the salsa is warm and smokey. Warm salsa was surprising to me, but it was very tasty. Not to be missed under any circumstance are the churros with chocolate. Those actually do steal the show. There's some heartier stuff on the menu - I've enjoyed the soft tortilla with chicken and beef and have heard good things about the pork belly.

I think the chef is the same as the chef from Death & Co.

The little forks are cute.

It's alarming how detailed spaetzle's knowledge of these cocktails is.

Why?

I dunno. There's some stuff I always worry about being seen to know to much about.

I mean, like, if I suddenly seemed very knowledgeable about the TV viewing habits of 11-year-old boys, say.

Anyway, look into your PM account here for a request for an opportunity to participate in your acquisition of further cocktail knowledge.

I dunno. There's some stuff I always worry about being seen to know to much about.

I mean, like, if I suddenly seemed very knowledgeable about the TV viewing habits of 11-year-old boys, say.

Anyway, look into your PM account here for a request for an opportunity to participate in your acquisition of further cocktail knowledge.

LOL - believe me, I will never know as much about cocktails as you!!! hahaha!

LOL - believe me, I will never know as much about cocktails as you!!! hahaha!

Are you saying Sneak is a bigger lush than you?

Everyone knows Sneak can't get into Mayahuel. He's just looking to meet someone who can! :lol: