Sprinkle with sugar and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours, whip some cream, coarsely crumble some meringues, mix all three items gently and dress with cassis. Garnish with crystallised currant leaves if you've been good enough to make them when the leaves were young and tender, otherwise use mint.

If you are particularly fussy (like me) you can top and tail them before the sugar stage, it won't matter if some of the juice runs.

So at the Tribeca market today, there were black currants! I bought two punnets, which are currently (sorry) macerating with a half-cup of sugar plus a few unripe blueberries and overripe sour cherries, all mashed together. While I cook dinner, I will cook them, then put into a yogurt strainer in lieu of a jelly sock.

Thanks for bringing up this question, Stephanie! :)

ETA: Cooked everything for about 15 minutes after macerating for a few hours. Cooled it, then passed through a fine sieve. More tart than sweet, which is fine in this house, and very thick. Added a little water and a little more sugar to the pulp that was left, recooked for 10 minutes or so. Passed through the sieve again, and ended up with almost a quart of fairly thick syrup when mixed. I told Paul that if he doesn't use it up soon, I'm turning it into sorbet. But I might freeze it in cubes. In any case, I don't think it will keep all that long.

Too late, but real blackcurrants? I like to eat them out of hand when I can find them. Also creme de cassis liqueur is made from them. A drop or two of the juice is a great addition to a Guinness.

They were way too tart to eat straight--I tried.

Suzanne, I got a very thick syrup too. I've put it in the fridge for now--I'm guessing/hoping it will keep for a while.

Paul has some over rice pudding. He liked the syrup but didn't think it added enough oomph. I think it would go well with panna cotta. Which I've never made, but why not?

(I left it pretty tart for my taste, because he likes that, but he thought it was on the sweet side. Oh well, this is the guy who likes 86% chocolate. :angry:

Paul has some over rice pudding. He liked the syrup but didn't think it added enough oomph. I think it would go well with panna cotta. Which I've never made, but why not?

(I left it pretty tart for my taste, because he likes that, but he thought it was on the sweet side. Oh well, this is the guy who likes 86% chocolate. :angry:

I'm with him, 86% chocolate is far less sweet than the lower percentages.