sears tower

You can tell the IRT/BMT/IND stuff from the train sizes.

Not completely. The IRT trains are narrow but the other lines are the same size. At one time the signs at the stairs to each line were labeled (IRT Lexington 4/5/6, etc.) Somewhere in the 1980s the MTA dropped the designations but it took them years to change the signs over.

Before you kids laugh at me I want a show of hands for how many people say "Avenue of the Americas."

Back to the Sears tower - I'll bet it will be 20 years before even half the people in Chicago call it the Willis tower.

Aren't BMT platforms shorter?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can tell the IRT/BMT/IND stuff from the train sizes.

Not completely. The IRT trains are narrow but the other lines are the same size. At one time the signs at the stairs to each line were labeled (IRT Lexington 4/5/6, etc.) Somewhere in the 1980s the MTA dropped the designations but it took them years to change the signs over.

Before you kids laugh at me I want a show of hands for how many people say "Avenue of the Americas."

Back to the Sears tower - I'll bet it will be 20 years before even half the people in Chicago call it the Willis tower.

And IND stations are enormous, with full mezzanines.

No - they're both the same length. Years ago when the systems were merged the MTA started running trains from one system over the other system's tracks. The D in Brooklyn now runs down 4th Ave., an original traditional BMT route. Usually the trains are 10 cars long although lightly traveled lines like the M and G are shorter.

And IND stations are enormous, with full mezzanines.

True. The IND was primarily built in the 1930s with Federal relief funds. They had money to burn. The nice part of those mezzanines is that you can get on a train from either side of the street and head in either direction. The IRT local trains have separate uptown and downtown entrances.

Please feel free to bookmark this post if anyone has trouble sleeping tonight.

People here will not be calling it the Willis Tower. It will be the Sears for years to come. There are still plenty of people who refuse to refer to where the White Sox play by its actual name.

Now Let's Get REALLY Boring

Years ago when the systems were merged the MTA started running trains from one system over the other system's tracks. The D in Brooklyn now runs down 4th Ave., an original traditional BMT route.

That particular switchup only became possible in either the late 60s or the early 70s, when the Christie St. connection linked the Manhattan IND tracks to the BMT tracks coming over the Manhattan Bridge.

Years ago when the systems were merged the MTA started running trains from one system over the other system's tracks. The D in Brooklyn now runs down 4th Ave., an original traditional BMT route.

That particular switchup only became possible in either the late 60s or the early 70s, when the Christie St. connection linked the Manhattan IND tracks to the BMT tracks coming over the Manhattan Bridge.

If only we could turn this exotic knowledge into ready cash.

People here will not be calling it the Willis Tower. It will be the Sears for years to come. There are still plenty of people who refuse to refer to where the White Sox play by its actual name.

That's the spirit. Fight the machine! They can buy the building but not our hearts and minds!

If only we could turn this exotic knowledge into ready cash.

Yes. I am taking some notes here.

I love the new suggested nickname "The Big Willey". My life is now officially complete.

They've renamed a lot of things in Toronto in recent years and, as far as I can tell, the new names haven't caught on for the most part. The St. Lawrence Centre was renamed the Hummingbird Centre and now I think it is the Sony Centre. I don't know what people actually call it now. Probably "you know, the arts centre under the big glass boot". The Skydome is now the Rogers Centre.

One name change was darned subtle, though. They knew people would never stop calling it "The CN Tower" so they changed the name to "Canada's National Tower" when it stopped being owned by CN Rail.

In Ottawa, when they were resurrecting the Senators hockey team, the new arena was called The Palladium -- because calling it The Senate would have kept people away in droves. It was located on a new street in Kanata called Palladium Drive. Then they got desperate and sold the naming rights, to Corel, so it was called The Corel Centre for awhile. It caught on but it took quite awhile. Then Corel went bust and the rights were picked up by ScotiaBank. So now it's ScotiaBank Place. On Palladium Drive...

I love the new suggested nickname "The Big Willey". My life is now officially complete.

I don't think that's quite what the Willis Group of London had in mind when they bought the building. Those zany Americans.

Then again, they really should have known better. This building in London has been called the Crystal Phallus.

30%20St%20Mary%20Axe.jpg

I don't think that's quite what the Willis Group of London had in mind when they bought the building. Those zany Americans.

Then again, they really should have known better. This building in London has been called the Crystal Phallus.

30%20St%20Mary%20Axe.jpg

aka "Erotic Gherkin"