Review of 4 Paris Bistrots

The New York times Mark Bittman wrote about Les Papilles,L'Epigramme,L'Itineraires and Le Gaigne in a recent sunday edition.He characterized the Paris Bistrot scene as an improvement from the past with "reliable and affordable food ,inventive but not silly and in cozy and small places ".Its interesting to note that these are not recent restaurants.His observations are correct but lack insights .The restaurants illustrate the trend in Paris for places that are informal,hence small with modern cuisine that's traditional based with a twist or some creativity.Wine from small proprietors .So one eats very well at a reasonable cost;i,e 30 euros (without wine).The best are the ones where Mme is the hostess and MR is in the kitchen.

Some examples of the above are the following(even in the non touristy 15th arrondissement): L'Afaria,Jadis,Le grand Pan,L'os a moelle,Le beurre Noisette ,etc

• 1 month later...

Pierre, do you recommend l'os a moelle?

Since I'm doing fancy 3* lunches on a couple days, in the evening, I'm looking for good but reasonable food with a great (well priced) wine list.

So many recommendations in the threads, it's hard sorting them out.

Le Villaret, Le Comptor de Relais, etc.

Since I'm doing fancy 3* lunches on a couple days, in the evening, I'm looking for good but reasonable food with a great (well priced) wine list.

Les Papilles and Repaire de Cartouche fit the bill and I reccommend them both very highly.

Two other places you might check out are Les Racines and Les Fines Gueules, both of which specialize in natural wines. I haven't been to either of those places but in canvassing online reviews for an upcoming trip, these places have piqued my interest. Racines offers vegetables from Alain Passard's garden, Fines Gueules also showcases top purveyors (e.g., butter from Bordier, bread from Poujarain, meat from Desnoyer). When are you going?

Les Papilles and Repaire de Cartouche fit the bill and I reccommend them both very highly.

Two other places you might check out are Les Racines and Les Fines Gueules, both of which specialize in natural wines. I haven't been to either of those places but in canvassing online reviews for an upcoming trip, these places have piqued my interest. Racines offers vegetables from Alain Passard's garden, Fines Gueules also showcases top purveyors (e.g., butter from Bordier, bread from Poujarain, meat from Desnoyer). When are you going?

Thanks Marty.

9/23 to 9/28.

Cheers

Barry

....Le Comptor de Relais, etc.

No, no, no, no, no. Twas a time, perhaps, but I'd never recommend it now. Many better options now, better food, less money, less attitude.

....Le Comptor de Relais, etc.

No, no, no, no, no. Twas a time, perhaps, but I'd never recommend it now. Many better options now, better food, less money, less attitude.

Totally agree with voyager.Better choices to consider; Afaria, Le grand Pan, au bon accueil,L'epigramme,etc

Thanks Marty.

9/23 to 9/28.

Cheers

Barry

Another recommendation for Les Fines Gueules. The food isn't amazing, but it's pretty good. Veal carpaccio, steak tartare, tomato salad are good. But the proprietor is great, the wine list fun, and they're open seven days a week.