Allegretti , NYC

The four of us had dinner last night at this restaurant that does not seem to be on anybody's radar.Its a small place with choices from the south of france and I started with the fish soup provencal .It came with rouille and cheese.It tasted quite authentic ,except for the lack of fish.

Not exactly a positive comment.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The four of us had dinner last night at this restaurant that does not seem to be on anybody's radar.Its a small place with choices from the south of france and I started with the fish soup provencal .It came with rouille and cheese.It tasted quite authentic ,except for the lack of fish.

Not exactly a positive comment.

You're right .It was meant as a sarcasm .

• 2 weeks later...

The Princess and I had dinner there tonight, and I must say I am almost jealous. They seem to have dispensed with any amuse (even for diners known to the house, as The Princess is). Cost-cutting, I expect. And while it didn't quite make me unhappy, I would describe the portions as"sufficient" rather than "generous."

That said, we were both mostly pleased. Although we had what seemed like an extra long wait for our cocktails, once they came they were worth the wait. Hers was a watermelon cooler, mine something with Hendricks gin and cucumber, and both were blessedly NOT sweet. The Cucumber Sling even had a noticeable hint of salt, which was unexpected but welcome. Very refreshing.

The rolls -- both olive-stuffed and plain -- were very good. I barely used any butter, so I couldn't tell you much about its flavor.

The "Taste of Nice" app sampler was quite good, everything both simply done and very flavorful. Octopus a la plancha was excellent, very tender and with just enough smokiness from the paprika. Fortunately, the red onion was in much tinier slivers than are pictured on the Web site (I am not a fan of raw onion, however mild).

The Princess's black and white tagliatelle was superb: the pasta had exactly the right toothsomeness, and each element -- pasta with and without ink, various seafoods, basil, tomato, chile -- came through clearly and in harmony. (I'm glad I didn't see the linked review about soft, mushy, underseasoned -- it was nothing of the sort.) I ordered the rouget, mostly because it is such a royal pain to fillet that I would never make it at home. Three fillets, each topped with a fried basil leaf; three puree-ish quenelles: eggplant, tomato compote, and crushed potato with what tasted to me much more like parsley than zucchini as listed on the menu (now, where did someone recently complain about how dated a trio of vegetable purees is? ;) ); and a moderate dribble of a red wine-tapenade jus. The fish was cooked perfectly for my taste, the skin crisp at the edges, the flesh flaky but still moist; on its own it might have been a touch underseasoned, but with the jus it was complete.

Once we had received our mains, I decided I wanted some wine, and asked for a light red. I was offered pinot noir, which was fine; unfortunately I can't find it on the posted list -- on the bill it is shown as "Hautes Cotes."

So far, so good. The dishes to that point was honest and well balanced.

Alas, not so our desserts. My Meyer lemon bar was all right, rich on a very thin sablé crust (except that Meyer lemons are out of season :huh: ), but the mascarpone ice cream was too much of a muchness (more rich creaminess). The candied lemon slice was the only thing with any chewable texture (although the day's humidity was surely to blame for the lack of crispness in the shards of cookie stuck in the lemon bar). And as for The Princess's frangipane peach tart with peaches and cream ice cream -- the peaches in both lacked any balancing acid, to the point that we were wondering if they might have been -- gasp! -- canned. :blink: In all, the desserts were not up to the level of the apps and mains. Coffee was very good, though.

I could see going back, but getting cheese instead of dessert. And asking them to give Paul a menu without prices (he would start hyperventilating if he saw how much things cost). The courses I was most interested in were worth the interest. Oh--and I didn't get the chance to ogle Chef Allegretti, as he is currently back in Provence. :(

ETA: The noise level was ear splitting, or at least so loud that we had to shout across the table. Points off for that. <_<

Guest Aaron T

Does the removal of the amuses etc significantly impair the experience and value proposition?

Is the corkage free August a promo to get people in during a traditional slow month or the beginning of ever more desperate efforts to generate custom?

Does the removal of the amuses etc significantly impair the experience and value proposition?

Not for me. In fact it was only in hindsight, reading this thread after I had eaten but before I posted, that I was aware of their absence. And as for value: at those prices there is no such thing as "value."

• 6 months later...

finally made it the other night when we happened to be in the area.

husband likened the experience to eating in a cave - dark and cold. the kind of dark where everyone looks drained and ashen, not sexy. we were first seated closer to the front of the room but it was just too cold there. they graciously - and quickly - reseated us at a very comfortable banquette in the back, opposite the oven. the service was terrific - accommodating and attentive.

loved the farotto with veal cheeks and greens and the ravioli with oxtail & swiss chard. great food on a cold night. rich, satisfying, delicious. and the octopus was fantastic, beautiful texture and also delicious. the only dud was "winter cassolette" of green & white asparagus, jerusalem artichoke, salsify, black truffle. i should have known better (green & white asparagus in january?!) but i'm a sucker for salsify and sunchokes.

the wine list is pricey, hopefully they have the kind of customers that drink that stuff regularly. it seems like a place that has a following. there are some decent cocktails too.

• 3 months later...

Any recent updates?

I'm taking my god-daughter out to dinner. I need a place that will interest me but will have safe choices for her. (When a young teenager, she found the Mac and Cheese at Artisinal too "different" to enjoy). Although she has expanded her horizons as a young adult, I need to know there is a safe harbor (i.e., chicken) on the menu for her.

Would Aldea be a better choice? (They don't have chicken, but they have char, which I will tell her is like salmon).

Any recent updates?

I'm taking my god-daughter out to dinner. I need a place that will interest me but will have safe choices for her. (When a young teenager, she found the Mac and Cheese at Artisinal too "different" to enjoy). Although she has expanded her horizons as a young adult, I need to know there is a safe harbor (i.e., chicken) on the menu for her.

Would Aldea be a better choice? (They don't have chicken, but they have char, which I will tell her is like salmon).

Aldea is probably the better restaurant in the absolute sense, but Allegretti is very good, and if you are looking for safe choices it may be the better option.

I agree that Allegretti is "safer". The food at Aldea would all seem a bit weird, I'd think. To be honest, I don't think either is all that "safe", though -- even French food like this is pretty done up. I would think places like Craft or Hearth would be safer.

I haven't been to Allegretti in a while, but to my pleasant surprise last week Grub Street reported it as "almost fully booked" on a weeknight.