Wilfrid1

Union Square Cafe

For those of you looking for a Four Story Hill Farms Ribeye (I know this was a hot topic of discussion in some other thread that I can't find), it's here. $125, comes with a side of Asparagus (says Asparagus and Ramps, but you only get 3-4 wilted/charred ramps) and a generous heap of bone marrow mashed potatoes. As for as a Ribeye goes, this was pretty darn spectacular, amongst the best I've had. They present it whole, and it really does have a nice dry aged aroma - not crazy, but very much present. It is not charred at all, it's rather crunchy brown vs. black, so factor that into your preferences. I know this could ruin it for some, but for me it enhanced it.

It wasn't on the menu this evening (was on yesterday), but they did say they had 3-4 available when I asked for it anyways. If you are going in for it, I'd ring.

Last night, had tickets for "Checkers" the off-Broadway play (at Union Square's Vineyard Theater) revolving around Nixon's famous "Checkers" speech in 1952. Excellent play with Anthony LaPaglia and Katherine Erbe giving outstanding performances as Dick and Pat Nixon - highly recommended if American Presidential/Political History is your thing. But I digress.

Decided to try USC after a several-year hiatus and some non-interesting meals in the most recent past. Well, this is a place to re-visit. The menu has been greatly pared and the selections updated. After the oustanding bread basket and condiments we began with a "snack" of house cured gravlax with bagel chips and a mustardy mayo - excellent with fresh flavor and nice spice.

Then the apps. Peggy had a Red and Yellow beet salad - crunchy, acidic dressing and quite delicious. I had the grilled octopus with fingerling potatoes. By far the best octopus dish - EVER. Never had octopus as tender and potatoes as moist and rich. The octopus was sliced paper thin as were the potatoes and the lemony, olive-oil base was its perfect foil.

Peggy had the rolled pork for her main - a piece of meat so perfectly prepared that it melted before it reached your mouth, the herb mixture used to season was flavorful and a perfect compliment to the meat. For me, the roasted Orata with braised potatoes, olives and spinach - wow. Served whole, the fish was at once meaty, flavorful and moist - all encased by a charred-skin exterior. Gave Peggy one of the fish cheeks and totally regretted it.

We shared a cookie plate for dessert, had an excellent bottle of Silver Springs Syrah and Peggy had a glass of Banyuls for dessert. With tax and tip - $230 - a truly remarkable value.

We arrived at 5:30pm - bar was full (not a seat to be found) and dining room was mostly empty. By the time we left at 7:45pm, the bar was still full, this time with people eating and the dining rooms were 90% full (and not with tourists) with people waiting.

USC is back!!! Go Enjoy!!!

I thought Danny Meyer would fix it after my review. Not to mention Frank Bruni's. It was badly broken.

They told me this was Wilf's itineration. ;)

For me, the roasted Orca with braised potatoes, olives and spinach - wow. Served whole, the fish was at once meaty, flavorful and moist - all encased by a charred-skin exterior. Gave Peggy one of the fish cheeks and totally regretted it.

What I want to know is how the hell that orca fit on the plate ninja.gif ?

Aw shit, you guys beat me to it! :P/>/>

the roasted Orca . . . Served whole,

Sorry, Freudian slip - Orata.

I'll change it.

It is one of the hard truths of New York real estate: Restaurants help revitalize neighborhoods, then are forced to close when their rents skyrocket.

The latest casualty is Union Square Cafe, a pioneering restaurant that became the mother ship of the fleet run by the entrepreneur Danny Meyer. It will forfeit its lease at the end of this year, close its doors and move to a location to be determined. The East 16th Street space it has occupied for nearly 30 years will go on the market this week, brokers said.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/dining/union-square-cafe-joins-other-victims-of-new-york-citys-rising-rents.html?referrer=

Hearth, one of the first restaurants to bring artisanal cooking to the East Village, was just hit with a 65 percent rent increase, and the chef and owner, Marco Canora, said his entire business model may have to change.

“I’m trying to be a smart businessman,” Mr. Canora said. “But I can’t do that at the cost of turning my back on my entire belief system and serving commodity pork and Perdue chicken.”

Exactly.

Outside of bobby flay, gentrification hero and the death of midrange dining, I found this surprising. Thought that there was some cross subsidization.bespecialky re: emp:

"Each of the groups restaurants is a separate company, Mr. Meyer said, meaning that revenue from Shake Shack cannot be repurposed to pay for ingredients or salaries at Union Square Cafe. My people cant thrive if the individual restaurant doesnt work financially, he said."

Correction: June 23, 2014

An earlier version of this article misstated the expiration date of the Union Square Cafes lease. The lease expires on Dec. 31, 2015, not at the end of this year.

Still a shock to the system.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/dining/union-square-cafe-joins-other-victims-of-new-york-citys-rising-rents.html?referrer=