Was looking for a particular Spanish Red that was hard to find and a little old. I was surprised to see that this place had 175 bottles of the particular one I was looking for.

I am thinking about taking a drive up to check this place out, they seem to be priced well, have a great selection of Spanish wines..

Anyone know about this place?

Was looking for a particular Spanish Red that was hard to find and a little old. I was surprised to see that this place had 175 bottles of the particular one I was looking for.

I am thinking about taking a drive up to check this place out, they seem to be priced well, have a great selection of Spanish wines..

Anyone know about this place?

PJ is a great store, particularly for Spanish wine. Be on the lookout for Lopez de Heredia wines, particularly from older vintages. They also carry a decent selection of German wines and grower Champagnes. The one thing I would be careful about is that the store can sometimes feel warm, so I can't confirm the bottles are kept at an appropriate temperature consistently through their time at the store.

The great thing about PJs is that early in the year they have a customer appreciation sale where they mail you a discount card that entitles you to buy anywhere from 1 bottle to several cases of wine at the store during the sale, at the store's cost. The number of bottles you get to buy depends on how much money you spent at the store in the past year. I have gotten some unbelievably good bargains at that sale.

Readily accessible from certain parts of New Jersey, as I believe Liza pointed out a long time ago. It is, of course, in the Best Mouthfuls listings:

Shopping mouthfuls

PJ Wines and Liquor, large and well-priced with a notable selection of Spanish wines.

It's undoubtedly the best retailer in New York for Spanish wines, but it's a gigantic place and great for bargains in any kind of liquor. A trip there is well complemented by a cheeseburger at the Piper's Kilt, just a couple of blocks up Broadway.

Readily accessible from certain parts of New Jersey, as I believe Liza pointed out a long time ago. It is, of course, in the Best Mouthfuls listings:

Shopping mouthfuls

PJ Wines and Liquor, large and well-priced with a notable selection of Spanish wines.

It's undoubtedly the best retailer in New York for Spanish wines, but it's a gigantic place and great for bargains in any kind of liquor. A trip there is well complemented by a cheeseburger at the Piper's Kilt, just a couple of blocks up Broadway.

Good call Wilf, that has just sealed the deal.

• 7 years later...

You were up here and you didn't stop by to say hello? :P

Seriously, yes, PJ is great. Their staff knows the stock well, and when they get to know your taste, make great recommendations. And with their wine club, if you spend certain minimums over a year, you get to buy a corresponding number of bottles at cost in February. We've tried a lot of wines that would otherwise be above our reach that way.

For those who make the trip: Piper's Kilt has been replaced by Tubby Hook, which still does a good burger (and a surprisingly good, inexpensive steak) and is less grungy; it's actually on the next block north, but granted, the block PJ is on runs from 204 to 207. If you are inclined toward sweets, ChocNYC is another couple of blocks north, above Isham Street; it's owned and run by Jemal Edwards, who was the pastry chef at Nobu and the mastermind behind the flavors at Rice to Riches.