• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

Oh, I have glasses.

I have so many glasses that my cleaning lady recently reorganized my cupboards to make the glasses easy to sort and readily accessible, and the plates and bowls almost out of reach.

She sees what's going on here now that I'm living alone.

I guess it's just you and me, sneak, at least as far as being willing to admit to less-than-exalted taste. :lol:

Even when we drank a lot more wine, we drank stuff that is probably beneath the connoisseurs. Lots of New York State wines when Vintage New York was open in Soho. It's not that we didn't know what the best was; we just couldn't afford it. Now, even less. Combine that with Paul's not wanting to drink because it interferes with his sleep patterns, and that leaves us with the search for decent stuff that keeps. I'm sure I've read that most wine consumption worldwide is of relatively young, relatively inexpensive wines. So I feel very cosmopolitan when I open the tap to one of my boxes. :lol: Believe me, if it were horrible, we wouldn't be drinking it.

So our current cellar is: that same Perrin; the Würtz riesling I've mentioned elsewhere, an Argentine malbec in a 1-liter Tetrapak, and a 1-liter gruner veltliner from Eckert. You know what? I'm satisfied. :)

My current cellar is ridiculous, actually, in terms of bottles that are or will be exalted some day.

I just don't drink that stuff casually.

Probably I should.

ETA -- I know this is the kind of self-pitying whining people hate from me, but when my wife was alive I had no compunction about pulling out a bottle of (ill-stored) old Bordeaux to go with an everyday workweek dinner. But now that I'm alone here, it just seems self-indulgent.

Because I like lists and plans, I have actually set a sort of schedule for drinking those kinds of bottles. Not that I have a huge number, but I don't want the older ones to die on me, nor do I want to just assume that I'll be around and drinking with equal pleasure when I'm seventy.

I admit, I do plan to prepare appropriate meals to accompany them.

I find a bottle of wine usually does outlast a solo dinner - but not by enough. In other words, there's not nearly enough left to accompany another solo dinner.

Because I like lists and plans, I have actually set a sort of schedule for drinking those kinds of bottles. Not that I have a huge number, but I don't want the older ones to die on me, nor do I want to just assume that I'll be around and drinking with equal pleasure when I'm seventy.

That sounds like fun. Deciding you'd like to drink these bottles in the next three months or three weeks, etc, and planning a meal around the event.