Sneakeater

The Rest of Us

Is that true about the CO2, BTW? I never knew that.

One never knows if it's a secondary fermentation or not but I am under the impression that some low sulphur types bottle with some co2. Hopefully SFJoe will pop in.

I think they don't need to add the CO2, it's more retaining the stuff left over from fermentation.

I figured this pork loin in blackberry/red currant/tomatillo sauce would get better with some refrigerator age, but wow. Pan-fried okra on the side.

I knew what I would drink with this.

2012 Clos Cibonne Cotes de Provence Cuvee Speciale Tibouren

Summer's ending, and so is my stash of this. You couldn't ask for a better pairing.

This really is a rather unique wine. Not edgy or anything -- it just doesn't much taste like anything else. A lighter, sprightlier Syrah, maybe -- but really lighter and really sprightlier. If tasting blind, I think I'd guess a Balearic wine.

Anyway, it's delicious: compulsively drinkable. And it goes with a fruity/herby dish like this like white on rice.

I made some dinner tonight and drank some wine with it.

But it just doesn't seem worth writing about it tonight, knowing that SFJoe isn't around to read it and maybe comment.

R.I.P.

I made some dinner tonight and drank some wine with it.

But it just doesn't seem worth writing about it tonight, knowing that SFJoe isn't around to read it and maybe comment.

R.I.P.

Amen.

Menage a Trois, Midnight, 2012. It's a red blend. Tastes strong. We'll see if they can keep the quality up on this one.

Some leftover tomato-eggplant sauce on spaghetti (if I wanted to be pretentious, I could call it Pasta a la Norma -- but it isn't).

In memory of SFJoe, I wanted to open up a great bottle: the kind I usually am afraid to drink by myself with my crap for dinner. But not with THIS crap. There are limits: I just can't waste great wine that way.

So I thought that the other thing that Joe would have wanted was for me to keep drinking up my old CdRs.

2007 Domaine Grand Nicolet Vielles Vignes Cotes du Rhone Villages Rasteau

I'm wondering whether I drank this too soon.

I'm at a loss as to why I bought this. This is precisely what I don't like: big, "jammy", alcoholic Southern wine. It's dying down somewhat -- this was quite drinkable, even as is -- but you can see how, just how it would have been intolerable a few years ago, a couple more years might bring the jam level down a bit more, and further integrate the oak into the fruit to boot.

But, as I said, it was quite drinkable tonight. The biggest testament to that is that I thought I'd save the half of the bottle left over to eat with hamburgers tomorrow: (a) it seems to be a good hamburger wine, and (b) it seems like the kind of wine that would be better the second day. That's all very nice -- but there isn't going to be anything (much less than half a bottle) left. This must be more drinkable than I'm giving it credit for.

I have no idea where Joe would have stood on that issue. But I like to think he'd have encouraged me to finish the bottle.

I have no idea where Joe would have stood on that issue. But I like to think he'd have encouraged me to finish the bottle.

He would. But in his absence, I will.