Pork chops or roast. East Asian food. Indian food. Chicken or turkey or Guinea hen. Scallops. White fish. Sushi. Corn.

i was thinking it might be good with a very clean salad (just mesclun) topped with either grilled chicken or roasted pork tenderloin slices

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

2007 Domaine Bachelet Cote de Nuits-Villages

Not a great year. But, in a way, a year like that is when a great producer like this can show their stuff in their lower-level wines. (As is well known, in lesser vintages, sometimes the lower-level wines get more of the better grapes, as producers select rigorously to preserve the quality of their senior cuvees.)

Do you think this may have been the case with the Cote de Nuits-Villages ?

I don't know -- but I wouldn't be shocked.

That 2007 is a mighty good bottle.

Braised (by which I mean slow-cooked) short ribs with (frozen) tomato and root vegetables, steamed brussels sprouts on the side.

I would have thought I wanted a fairly tannic wine to cut the fat of the short ribs.

But what I had open was the liter bottle from a couple of nights ago.

2013 Ampeleia Unlitro

And luckily for me, what this dish really needed was acid, to liven up the blandness generated by the shitload of root vegetables I put into this. (Tell you what: when I reheat the rest of this, I'm throwing in some anchovies to perk things up.)

I now realize that, with its one-liter size, this would be a perfect wine in which to braise the next set of short ribs I make. If only I didn't think I bought one of Passage's last bottles.

2007 Domaine Bachelet Cote de Nuits-Villages

Not a great year. But, in a way, a year like that is when a great producer like this can show their stuff in their lower-level wines. (As is well known, in lesser vintages, sometimes the lower-level wines get more of the better grapes, as producers select rigorously to preserve the quality of their senior cuvees.)

Do you think this may have been the case with the Cote de Nuits-Villages ?

I don't know -- but I wouldn't be shocked.

Well, I would be shocked because it would be illegal for Bachelet to do so !

Which "better grapes" are you imagining could go into that bottle ?

Either you don't understand declassification in Burgundy (my vote) or you think that Bachelet would do something illegal.

Which is it ?

Because Bordeaux chateaus make all their wines from the same vineyards, making their own selections of the grapes that go into each grade of wine. But the chateau itself -- and the various wines it produces from its vineyard -- are a just a business entity and commercial labels, not a regulatorily determined district or classification. (In Bordeaux, the classified entities are much larger areas: Margaux, Pomerol, etc.)

Whereas, say, "Gevrey-Chambertin" and "Cote de Nuites Villages" are regulatory classifications. You'd have to declassify G-C grapes to put them into a Villages wine.