• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

This time I had the reverse piperade (reverse cuz I used red pepper with green tomato instead of green pepper with red tomato) over a tuna steak, the way the Basques eat it. On the side were steamed French market carrots (with their greens), which I have to say were truly gemlike. I have a bunch to eat over the course of the week -- and now I'm looking forward to it.

All this talk about Frank Cornelissen gave me an idea of what to drink with this.

Frank Cornelissen MunJebel Bianco 4

There are two questions I always have about orange wines.

First, what to drink them with? A dish like this, is the answer: too spicy for red wine, too substantial for a normal white.

Second, do they age? I like to keep some old ones around to find out. When was MunJebel 4 made? 2007, I think? Of course you have to store this no-SO2 wine impeccably, but having taken care to do that, I think it's holding its own. It's lost some of the wild weirdness that is both the blessing and the curse of Cornelissen's wines, and has settled into a rectitudinous middle age (but shouldn't be left around much longer). There's some lemon, a lot of different spices, acid of course -- and then a sour finish, like a sour beer. There's also this menthol thing going on in the finish (which you expect in red wines but not in whites). But all these flavors are in repose. It's almost sleek rather than murky (which is not to say there isn't a lot of strange stuff floating around in it).

In terms of appearance, age has only deepened its color. I've drunk roses that were paler than this.

This is really, um, something.

I remember Italian influences down Swabia way in terms of noodles, but not so much the tomato.

My memory is suggesting hare with noodles, cream, and some sort of sweet jam or preserve. But don't trust my memory.

Lingonberries would often be used in game dishes. For rabbit (not hare) rather a cream sauce with mustard or something like that.

Duck breast with a grape/plum reduction. More of those steamed French market carrots on the side.

This actually was (by far) one of my more successful attempts at this kind of thing. First of all, I thank Wilfrid for freeing me from the peer pressure that forced me to undercook duck. I like it close to medium, goddammit, and that's the way I now make it.

Secondly, I now realize that reductions have to be given time to reduce. Usually, it's late at night and I'm in too much of hurry to get some food in front of me. Tonight, though, I knew I'd be up late in any event waiting for something in the slow cooker to finish. (I later decided to put it on low and deal with it in the morning: I've never overcooked anything in a slow cooker.) So I let the reduction come out the way it should.

I knew I wanted a bright and friendly Pinot Noir with this (and as part of the reduction).

2010 David Duband Cote de Nuits-Village

Before Chambo correctly points it out, let me acknowledge that I understand that this is a New Word style Burgundy. That's what I wanted. It fit the bill perfectly.

Cherries! Dark stuff (spices and minerals)! But not too dark! Cuz this is simple happy Burgundy! For shiny happy people!

This actually was (by far) one of my more successful attempts at this kind of thing. First of all, I thank Wilfrid for freeing me from the peer pressure that forced me to undercook duck. I like it close to medium, goddammit, and that's the way I now make it.

Me too - on the + side of medium-rare. Same way I like burgers and many steaks.

Some leftover Toulouse sausage stew over mashed potatoes.

I don't drink the same wines all the time. I had something stylish in mind as a pairing. But I had this half-bottle of the following left open from cooking yesterday, and it seemed like a plausible match while also needing to be finished.

2014 NQN P15 Malbec

With this food -- unlike with a steak -- I kind of wished there were more going on with this wine. But there isn't. The fruit is good, and the finish is adequate -- and that's it.

So it's nice enough -- but perhaps not quite enough for "real" food.

Right. The + side of medium rare.

After dinner, some Valdespino Fino Sherry "Inocente"

Plenty going on here in this single-vineyard fino. In fact: exemplary.

Salt. Nuts. Acid. Smoke. A riot of flavors, perfectly integrated.

Beyond excellent, IMO.

Interesting choice for after dinner; I always think of finos as aperitifs.

And next time I see you, I have a story for you about an argument or two I've had with a famous food critic (about ordering stuff extremely rare).