• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

Roast porcelet shoulder, Mayocoba beans and other stuff on rice on the side, and braised celery.

2001 Castillo Labastida Reserva

This co-op Rioja is certainly New Style and not especially distinguished.  So I kinda put it where the sun don't shine, and it's been aged beyond what any reasonable person would do -- which to me has made it quite palatable.

One of those old wines with almost no up-front fruit left; it's all secondary and tertiary flavors.  Chocolate, tobacco, that kind of stuff.

Many would say this is too old.  Happily, when I eat by myself, I don't have to worry about them.

How can chickpeas and turnip greens be so good ? Start with a soffrito,add some tomato paste,grenada peppers and white wine...simmer down,add cooked chickpeas and quickly boiled greens. Season,then make a meal with some nice smoked sprats from one of the stores in Greenpoint, and maybe a nice piece of cheese to finish. To drink ? Cos Nero di Lupo....what a great rich but dry nero d’avola.

• Like 1

Roast pork.  I can really make roast pork (not that it's hard).  Moist, flavorful.  It helps that D'Artagnan's porcelet shoulder is some of the most flavorful pork you can get in these parts.

On the side, Mayocomba beans and aromatics from the slow-cooking portion of the pork preparation, over grits (oops!:  out of rice).  And more braised celery (not just to impress joethefoodie).

Obvious pairing.  Obvious for a reason.

2016 Bodegas y Viñedos Ponce Buena Pinta

This is Juan Antonio Ponce's Moravia Agria/Garnacha blend.  My favorite of his wines.

Ponce had been saying that his ultimate intent was to eliminate the Garnacha from this blend, leaving only the very rare indigenous Manchuelan grape.  But in this vintage he actually increased the Garnacha component over past years, owing to weather developments during the growing period.  Actually, that's fine with me:  I think Garnacha brings something to this blend.

More fragrance, maybe?  A touch of fruity flab that ends up complimenting the surprising elegance (in this wine) of the acidic Moravia Agria?

I'm not saying I like this more than the 2012 vintage, of which I drank virtual oceans.  I'm just saying I don't like it any less.

A real favorite wine.

SSDW (Same Shit Different Wine).

The last of the porcelet shoulder I'm going to have in the form of roast pork (next stop:  pulled!).  With more of the aromatics and stuff over grits.  And yet more braised celery.

2012 Poderi Sanguinetto I e II Rosso di Montepulciano

My last bottle of this house favorite.

I remember when I first got a case of this a few years ago, I thought it was initially too young to drink.  So I stopped for about half a year, wondering how I'd be able to wait till it was ready.  Now, my last bottle is slightly past it.

The formerly tart fruit at the start is now more like tart tartness.  Some fruit finally comes out -- but a junior cuvée like this Rosso needs some fresh fruit.  The other stuff isn't good enough (or maybe I mean enough enough) without it.

Time to move onto a new case of the current release.  (Well, maybe after a short wait.)

I won't lie.  My favorite part of eating a roast pork (in this case porcelet) shoulder is at the end, when I pull the last batch(es) of leftovers.  On Martin's buns, with pickles and chile relish.  More braised celery and beans 'n aromatics on the side.

Easy wine choice.

2017 Hervé Souhat Syrah

Everybody knows that Syrah is great with pulled pork.  But you can't drink anything too grand with it.

Here, Souhat's entry-level Just Plain Syrah.  Beautiful translucent-but-deep purple color.  Tastes like what you'd expect:  fruit and funk. 

Does it go well with pulled pork?  Are you kidding?