• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

Which is also, now that I think of it, why boars are so scary when you come upon them in the wild: that bulk is all muscle.

Well, that and the tusks.

You’ve come across them in the wild?

I know Texas has them in such numbers that hunting regulations basically say kill as many as you can any time of year, use a machine gun (which is an atypical hunting regulation). I don’t know how things are in Canada, but maybe Texas-sourced are cheaper?

I'm sure that's why D'Artagnan now sources from Texas.

So I was hiking through a forest in Jalisco, and about 10 feet up the trail from me a boar emerges from the forest and starts to walk across.  It stops mid-trail and turns to look at me.  I stand there stock still looking back.  This goes on for several minutes.  I'm thinking, "it's up to the boar whether I live or die."

Finally, the boar turns away and continues crossing the trail, disappearing into the forest on the other side.

Same dinner as last night.  Except I ate the boar cold, with mustard.  It was better that way:  seemed less dried-out.  (Also, the beans were one day older and hence one day better.)

Tonight we drank the Syrah that we couldn't inject into last night's pairing.

2017 Domaine Romaneaux-Destezet (Hervé Souhaut) Syrah

This is an unapologetic natural wine.  Meaning, if you think you don't like natural wine, this is what you're thinking of.  It's bitter, it's sour.

But man I like it.  Instead of the pejoratives, I'd say it's "incisive".  You really taste the Syrah flavor profile of dark berries and black pepper and (in this case absolutely unsweetened dark dark) chocolate.  This wine is (I assume) made to be drunk young, and there aren't much in the way of secondary, much less tertiary, flavors going on.  Interestingly, there's not a hint of Syrah bacon fat.  You just get a heavy attack of that fruit, in its most concentrated no-frills form, at the front.

I just love this.

So I was hiking through a forest in Jalisco, and about 10 feet up the trail from me a boar emerges from the forest and starts to walk across. It stops mid-trail and turns to look at me. I stand there stock still looking back. This goes on for several minutes. I'm thinking, "it's up to the boar whether I live or die."

Finally, the boar turns away and continues crossing the trail, disappearing into the forest on the other side.

I imagine them being quite small, in person, but that sounds intimidating.

Okay, putting them on my avoid list.

I was feeding a squirrel out of my hand down near Battery Park before the holidays, and my wife seemed to think that was foolhardy. 🙃

So I was hiking through a forest in Jalisco, and about 10 feet up the trail from me a boar emerges from the forest and starts to walk across.  It stops mid-trail and turns to look at me.  I stand there stock still looking back.  This goes on for several minutes.  I'm thinking, "it's up to the boar whether I live or die."

https://nypost.com/2020/01/03/yoenis-cespedes-ankle-fractures-came-during-incident-with-wild-boar/

Which is also, now that I think of it, why boars are so scary when you come upon them in the wild: that bulk is all muscle.

Well, that and the tusks.

You’ve come across them in the wild?

I know Texas has them in such numbers that hunting regulations basically say kill as many as you can any time of year, use a machine gun (which is an atypical hunting regulation). I don’t know how things are in Canada, but maybe Texas-sourced are cheaper?

I'm sure you can gun down anything in Texas with no consequences, but to be able to sell US caught meat it has to be farmed in some sense (meaning you put a fence around it for some amount of time and maybe fed it) and inspected so it doesn't end up being cheaper, but maybe when you're dartagnan sized you can get a better deal.

D'Artagnan makes it sound like their suppliers put a fence around the boars but don't feed them (thus keeping them "wild").  And when the time comes, traps them rather than shoots them (for the benefit of their squeamish American customers).

I'm sure I posted several years ago about an infestation of boars in the country.    We'd arrive to find the verge to our property "plowed", plantings uprooted/eaten.   Those guys had TUSKS!.   After a month or so of nightly rampage, locals did a stake out and took them out.    I have no idea what happened to the meat.    Felt cheated since we'd certainly fed them...

Reading a book of short stories by Salman Rushdie. East west or something. I love his writing style. I feel like I read one of the stories, the prophets hair, somewhere else before. My favorite story was at the auction of the ruby red slippers. It was very much had that magical realism vibe with a real sense of humor. I loved it. I see myself reading his whole catalogue but first, half a sleep in a frogs pajamas by Tom Robbins