Sneakeater

The Rest of Us

6 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

D'Artagnan duck/Armagnac sausage (is it just me or is this sausage SALTY???????) over a bed of sautéed kale on a bed of lentils

I'm not as in like with their sausages as I am with, say, their porcelet collar. (Which doesn't preclude me from having a shitload in my freezer). But of the offerings I've tried, my favorites have been the merguez and andouille. And the chicken/wild mushroom one sucked.

Give Fossil Farms sausages a try. I especially enjoyed the Pekin duck with apple brandy. Also the wild boar with garlic and marsala wine. I wanted to try their merguez, but it was sold out last time I ordered.

i had the FF merguez last night actually. (I think they are from the Quebecois producer Ori rates) - they were really really excellent spicing wise,  maaaaayyyybe a touch fatty. (I'll ignore the fact they were in a pig casing tho!!)

I tried three or four kinds of the dartagnan chicken sausages to see if the kids would eat them and didn’t like any of them.

5 minutes ago, AaronS said:

I tried three or four kinds of the dartagnan chicken sausages to see if the kids would eat them and didn’t like any of them.

Right?! They're strangely, ummmm, moist? At least the mushroom one was - like the mushroom maybe wasn't cooked before using it in the sausage and gave up its moisture when cooking the sausage.

Halibut cheeks in a creamy mustard/chive sauce.  With sautéed purslane on the side.

2017 Domaine Ricard Pierre à Feu

So this is one of Vincent Ricard's racier Touraine Sauvignon Blancs.  Maybe a bit too racy for this dish; a little refinement wouldn't have been amiss.  But fun in its own right.

Grapefruit out of the box.  Grass.  Acid and out. 

If you like SB, you'll like this.

The big news around here is that I finally overcame nearly a decade of sloth and, as I added a bunch of carrot greens and other greens and alliums that had to go, puréed my Splinky-Inspired Perpetual Homemade Chimmichurri.  I'd be lying if I said it wasn't better this way.

The now-puréed chimmichurri went with a dry-aged bone-in ribeye.  On the side, sautéed black trumpet mushrooms -- sautéed the quick and crispy way, not the slow and deep way.  And some sautéed kale.

To drink with this, I was in the mood for a big, even gross, wine of the kind I generally hate.

2001 Viña Rufino Alta Gama Riserva

This Ribera del Duero bruiser is, indeed, the kind of wine I generally hate.

With the steak, it was kind of sensational.  I mean, what are you gonna have with a big grilled hunk of aged beef?  A light glou-glou Loire?  It would run screaming out of the dining room in terror.  This is why I keep some amount of wine like this around.

Now, finishing it up by itself after the steak, it seems kind of too big.  And gross.

This is tough.  This really IS a good wine:  complex, multivalent -- and not very expensive.

It's just not what I like (without big hunks of beef).

Well, I have some shortribs.  And a new braiser that fits into my Combi oven.  (See, Bonner:  I listen.)

I know what's going to go with their conjunction.

Dumbed-down-but-delicious Mole Poblano con Pollo.  Not only did this taste very very good, but it was almost unique among things I've cooked in that it came out looking like what it was supposed to be.  Anyone looking at it would say, "Oh, that's Mole Poblano con Pollo."  Usually, if you were to look at some composed dish I'd made, you'd say something like, "Oh, that's . . . brownish."

Over rice.  Hongos on the side (funny how last night they were mushrooms).  And sugar snap peas.

If I were in Mexico, there would have been tortillas.  But if I were in Mexico, I'd be in Mexico.  I'm in Brooklyn.

I didn't have time today to think about a wine pairing.  So I let my knee jerk.

2014 Three Wine Company Old Vines Field Blend

If you've been reading these posts, you could've expected I'd reach for this.  A California (Contra Costa) field blend of very old-vine (more than 100 years) Zinfandel, Mataró (that's Mourvèdre to you), Carignan, Alicante (that's almost-Grenache to you), Petite Sirah, and Malvasia Nero.  It's like if you wanted to make a wine that goes with Mole Poblano, you couldn't do better than what Matt Cline found growing in these fields.

The mole tasted like chocolate with spice.  The wine tasted like chocolate with fruit and spice.  Who could fault this?

Rabbit schnitzel with sour cream dill sauce.  Don't tell Behemoth, but I fried the schnitzel in duck fat.

Steamed sugar snaps on the side.

2015 A.J. Adam Dhron Has'chen Riesling Kabinett

Do you want to hear me go on again about how much I love this wine?

I thought not.

On 6/30/2020 at 12:02 AM, Sneakeater said:

It's like if you wanted to make a wine that goes with Mole Poblano, you couldn't do better than what Matt Cline found growing in these fields.

Wait.  Did you know that Matt Cline's family founded Jacuzzi?  As in, like, Jacuzzis?

Last night's dinner came from my Austrian inheritance.  Today we followed the other half of my family to Russia.

Pan-seared losos' (that's salmon to you) in butter (you think I was gonna make a Coulibiac?) with chives and mints.  Lisichki (that's chanterelles to you) in a dilled sour cream (I couldn't find any smetana) sauce (the basis of which was in fact left over from last night's Austrian dinner).   Sautéed shchavel' (that's sorrel to you).

Maybe it's my Russian soul, but those chanterelles were really delicious.  I have to find some smetana so I can go whole hog and do the full dish with potatoes.

My wine choice was so predictable as to almost constitute self-parody.

2016 André Bonhomme Mâcon Village "Vielles Vignes"

I mean what else would you drink with this other than a higher-class white Burgundy (or maybe Champagne)?

I would tell you if there were anything different about this bottle from the other million I've written up here.  But there isn't.

8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Maybe it's my Russian soul, but those chanterelles were really delicious.  I have to find some smetana so I can go whole hog and do the full dish with potatoes.

My guess; one of the Russian supermarkets, such as Net Cost, Gourmanoff, et al.

I was thinking of making a trip to NetCost. Headcheese craving.