• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

It's a good price for a good wine from a pretty good vintage.

But at this exact point, are you really sure you want to be buying something that won't be ready to drink till the 2030s?

Spaghetti alla Norma.  (I keep making the same things over and over, when the ingredients are in season, cuz I like them.)

An interesting (at least to me) point:  last time I made this, I thought I might have overcooked the eggplant in the initial pre-sauce frying stage (they were dark dark brown instead of golden).  But it turns out they're better that way.  This time I fried them to a perfect gold -- and I prefer the added crispiness and especially smokiness I got last time.  Fry those suckas!

On the side, puntarelle sautéed with garlic scapes and anchovies (see what I did there?).

Another day when I just didn't have the energy to think about the wine pairing.

2012 Occhipinti SP68

Was this wine made to drink with Spaghetti alla Norma?  It could've been.

This is, simply, excellent winemaking.  Bright fruit, with some depth:  cherries, red berries, dark berries.  I'd like to say you then taste volcanic dust, but really you don't.  You just get some kind of fairly indistinct dark kind-of-herby non-fruit flavor -- but one that really lasts.

An exemplary inexpensive wine.  If only it were still inexpensive!

2 hours ago, voyager said:

And I'm afraid to buy green bananas...

When I was younger and thought I was going to live indefinitely, I bought a good deal of wine that required extended aging.

Now -- although it's still hard to get myself to open those bottles, because each opening is an acknowledgement -- I'm enjoying the fruits of those investments.

But I'm sure as shit not buying bottles like that anymore.

10 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

When I was younger and thought I was going to live indefinitely, I bought a good deal of wine that required extended aging.

Now -- although it's still hard to get myself to open those bottles, because each opening is an acknowledgement -- I'm enjoying the fruits of those investments.

But I'm sure as shit not buying bottles like that anymore.

Oenophile cranks Statler and Waldorf in On the Beach: 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, hollywood said:

So just buy some Silver Oak or White Rock and drink now?

The whole point of this thread is that there are loads of relatively inexpensive ready-to-drink wines that aren’t just worse versions of expensive wines. 

• Like 1

We need to remember that "back in the day", young wines were often/usually undrinkable, hence laying them down, often for a generation.   Enter modern winemaking and one doesn't have to wait to drink their father's wine to drink well.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

But there ARE still wines -- trad Barolos, good Bordeaux, etc. -- that simply don't drink well young.

And, in fact, "modern" Barolos vinified to drink well young kind of suck.

Indeed.    But I thought that your point, the point of this thread, was that alternatives exist for those who want to drink here and now and without ransoming the ranch. .