• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

Okay, it was a McDonald's Angus burger...... :blush: :unsure: I just had to have one....I'm so ashamed, 'cause even my homemade boigahs are better than McD's.

OK, say 3 Hail Marys and make a good act of contrition.

Hail Mary, Hail Mary, Hail Mary. And I'll stop snarking on Sandra Lee.

But you have to tell us what wine you had with it.

What else?

nightTrainNThunderbird.gif

But you have to tell us what wine you had with it.

HAHAHA, I wish, that would have made it less painful, but I don't drink. Not even eating McD's can make me fall off the wagon.

I have some chicken leftovers, some rice leftovers, and the broth from cooking the chicken. Call me crazy, but I am thinking maybe chicken soup with rice.

"Think like a chef," or what?

Sandra, don't you jus' wanna add some condensed cream of broccoli soup INto those leftovers?

I have some chicken leftovers, some rice leftovers, and the broth from cooking the chicken. Call me crazy, but I am thinking maybe chicken soup with rice.

Sandra, don't you jus' wanna add some condensed cream of broccoli soup INto those leftovers?

You clearly did not make a good act of contrition.

he's going to hell in a semi-homemade handbasket

:lol:

:lol:

Stuffed wif fabrick from the fabrick store. With a li'l nametag stuck to the basket so Satan'll know JUST WHO I AM!!! :blush:

With leftover steak:

Flowers Perennial 2007

Flowers is a California producer of good mid-level Sonoma pinot noirs. They're never profound, but they're made in an enjoyably restrained, modest style, and are usually good to drink and enjoy without waking up the next morning feeling like you've sullied yourself. Lovely wines, you might say.

Perennial is a blend that Flowers makes each year of pinot noir rejected from their premiere bottlings, along with some pinot meunier, syrah, and chardonnay. Made for early drinking, it's fruity, while maintaining interest. It also could be called "lovely".

But, priced in the mid-$30s, it's expensive for what it is. While it may be lovely, it isn't soulful like the vaguely similar blend produced in the Valencay appellation in the Loire -- and sold for half the price -- by producers like Clos Delorme (gamay, cabernet franc, cot (malbec), and pinot noir). As a Wine Romantic, I would tell you that this is because that French blend was dictated by terroir and generations of trial-and-error and tradition -- not by what happens to be left over after some New World producer makes its first cut among the several alien grapes it grows.

If Flowers Perennial cost between $15 and $20 a bottle, I'd be a solid fan. As it is, I like it, but wonder whether it's really worth the freight. You often wonder that about American wines: why aren't they cheaper than cognate wines from France, instead of being more expensive?

nightTrainNThunderbird.gif

I note that the bottles say Thunderbird must be served cold, whereas Night Train must be served very cold. So Thunderbird at more of a cellar temperature, whereas Night Train, say, 10 degrees cooler? More of a summer drink?

As far as relatively inexpensive wines, we find quite a lot from German and Austrian producers. Whites are easier to get around 10 euro, but I've had some very good zweigelts and lembergers at around 15 euro. There are certainly cheaper wines out there, but at this price level the quality has been quite high.

How are German and Austrian wines priced in the US?