• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

Latkes fried in duck fat are quite outstanding. I hope you'll follow it up on Passover with matzoh brie fried in duck fat. Your taste buds will thank me.

Never make it any other way,

Reheated goulash.  (I really DID make this batch too spicy.  But I'll live.)  This time over noodles!

Sautéed kale.  Because (a) I'm boring and (b) the current vegetable selection is even more boring.

For the wine pairing, I went back to a house favorite that I always like with goulash.

2013 Bodegas y Viñedos Ponce Buena Pinta

This wine from Manchuela is mostly the rather obscure Moravia Agria, with some Garnacha.

Garnacha loves highly flavored braises.  Moravia Agria provides somewhat darker fruit and some structure -- but not (this is crucial) a lot of tannin.  In terms of acid and tannin and general structure (but not flavor) (this wine is SPANISH SPANISH SPANISH), this drinks like a Burgundy.  Bingo!

As I said the last time I drank a bottle of this small stash of '13 I recently stumbled upon someplace in storage where it shouldn't have been, this wine is kind of over it.  Which doesn't mean it doesn't have its appeal.  Just that the Garnacha fruit has pretty much left the house.

I'm not kicking it out of my glass, though.

23 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

NOW you tell me.  (I don't think Beer Witch is listed as a seller on Aaron Burr's website.)

too new. 209 station had some the last time I was there. (I think aaron burr bottles once a year so the stuff on their website is the least popular stuff.)

My last truffle dish of the season!  (There were some truffled scrambled eggs that didn't make it into this thread.)

Truffled veal roast (owing to my possible misreading of the recipe I was following, more a pot roast than a roast -- but I'm perfectly happy with that [I LOVE pot roast!], and the leftovers will make an outrageous pasta topping).*

Baby spinach, oversautéed to my preference, on the side.

Not much doubt what was going to be drunk here.

1997 Cavallotto Barolo Riserva Bricco Boschis "Vigna San Guiseppi"

Cavollotto is another Barolo producer not among the very most famous whose wines I just adore (at least after their resurgence [along with a bunch of other Piemontese wine producers -- and not just in the Langhe] in the late 20th Century).  This is their flagship, from one of the string of great Langhe vintages in the second half of the '90s.

This is not a shy wine.  There are (in Parkerian terms) oodles of cherry/raspberry fruit (but rather restrained, as befits a senior Barolo), tar, anise, smoke (quite pronounced), roses of course (that's what I, for one, drink Barolo for) -- and it all just lasts and lasts.  Just a wonderful wonderful bottle.

While I don't see this wine's getting any better with more time, it doesn't taste like it's on the precipice of decline, either.  So if you're lucky enough to have any (and believe me, I wish I had more), you can feel free to drink it now without regret -- but you have another couple of years to go if you want.

________________________________________________________________________________

* My problem with the recipe:  if they have you cooking in a dutch oven, it seems to me like it's supposed to be covered whether the recipe explicitly says so or not, right?  Otherwise, why wouldn't the recipe specify a deep roasting pan instead?  I elected to leave the roast covered for most of the roasting time, but uncovered it for the last bit at the end.  I now think it was supposed to be uncovered all the way through, so it would turn out more like a standard roast.  I liked the way it came out my way, in any event.  (That the truffling -- cutting an incision into the veal loin and lining it with truffles, and then flouring and browning the veal to close the incision -- actually worked is another of those miracles of cooking that very occasionally occur as they're supposed to in my vicinity.) (There was also a whole bunch of truffle shaved on top at the end, natch.)

On 12/18/2020 at 10:32 PM, AaronS said:

too new. 209 station had some the last time I was there. (I think aaron burr bottles once a year so the stuff on their website is the least popular stuff.)

You know, now that I think of it, I did have (and LOVE) some Appinette (the stuff I bought from their website) at Eleven Madison Park several years ago.  So, although I'm going to Beer Witch tomorrow (assuming it's open on Mondays), I'm happy enough with a case of the Appinette (less the bottle I gave to a thirsty GF).

10 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

You know, now that I think of it, I did have (and LOVE) some Appinette (the stuff I bought from their website) at Eleven Madison Park several years ago.  So, although I'm going to Beer Witch tomorrow (assuming it's open on Mondays), I'm happy enough with a case of the Appinette (less the bottle I gave to a thirsty GF).

It's interesting you say this, because back when they were all under the same "general" ownership (like way back), Gramercy Tavern had the best cider list in town. Like it matters.

Katsudon. I wouldn't have thought I could make this.  I can.

I used a leftover Secreto de Cerdo that had been sitting in my refrigerator in a Vermouth sauce, which sauce was dumped into the Katsudon sauce.  I think it only made it better.  The Japanese should think about adding it to the recipe.

2018 Balestri Valda Soave Classico

This was chosen more because I'd opened it to dump into the veal roast I made yesterday than out of any felt belief it would go with the Katsudon.  But it did.  It shouldn't be surprising:  people drink Soave with pork all the time.

Indeed, the texture of this wine is kind of Chardonnay-like.  It's really kind of nice with the pork.