• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

Regalis won't ship to my by NYE  - something they told me only after I had ordered and paid...

I think they didn't expect how strong sales would be, but also not that the uni and eel suppliers will covid up.

7 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

Regalis won't ship to my by NYE  - something they told me only after I had ordered and paid...

They are frustrating. Got 4 oz of useless .5 oz truffles from them after they said they would try to fulfill with a single 4 ozer per my request. No intervening communication or heads up. Then they claim that all they received were small and that I received exactly what they would send to restaurants...while at the same time bombarding instagram with what are clearly not .5 oz turds. Every other truffle purveyor I have ever dealt with would either (a) ship what was asked for or (b) give a heads up if they didn't have it. 

Their button chanterelles are great though. 

Edit: I will console myself with the 11 pound wild turbot that just arrived at my door. 

Edit2: Obviously the turbot is not from regalis. 

Duck barbacoa.  No, I didn't make it -- Hudson Valley Duck Farms, under the tutelage of  "Chef Jerry Chamberlain", did -- but I reheated it.  This is one of those things that I can't imagine why I bought it.  But it's been sitting in my freezer long enough!  Not terrible by a longshot.

In the absence of tortillas, I had it in sandwiches on a very excellent cheddar bread from Olmsted Trading Post (whose house-made breads, I will repeat, are fabulous).  I lightly pickled some onions for it.

On the side, some beans or others.  And a kale salad.

On the one hand, the wine pairing was deplorably literal and mindless.  On the other, it went pretty great with the dinner.

2019 Bichi Santa

This is a Mexican natural wine by a Luyt acolyte.  Orik -- who would know -- has called bullshit on their stuff.  But I kind of like it.

This is made from Rosa del Perú, slightly better known as Moscatel Negro.  It's very light:  almost rosé-colored.  It has that classic early-days natural flavor profile, where you taste the funk and the sour as much as you taste the fruit, and there's a slight fizz.  Natural wine doesn't mostly taste like this anymore -- but it's nice to go back every once in a while.

Especially with a slightly spicy, very gloppy, extremely flavor-forward dish like the barbacoa.  Chilled (cellar temp), tasting like beer almost more than like wine, this was the only kind of wine you'd want to drink with it.

13 hours ago, aek said:

They are frustrating. Got 4 oz of useless .5 oz truffles from them after they said they would try to fulfill with a single 4 ozer per my request. No intervening communication or heads up. Then they claim that all they received were small and that I received exactly what they would send to restaurants...while at the same time bombarding instagram with what are clearly not .5 oz turds. Every other truffle purveyor I have ever dealt with would either (a) ship what was asked for or (b) give a heads up if they didn't have it. 

Their button chanterelles are great though. 

Edit: I will console myself with the 11 pound wild turbot that just arrived at my door. 

Where is it from?

11 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

2019 Bichi Santa

This is a Mexican natural wine by a Luyt acolyte.  Orik -- who would know -- has called bullshit on their stuff.  But I kind of like it.

I should have posted this but as it turns out I was wrong in my assumption that they must use isinglass - an assumption I based on the human histidine / histamine detector I have at home. Apparently this is rather a result of a specific level of histamine producing lactic acid bacteria present in fermentation, a level which is in line with adding sulfites, but not quite enough sulfites. 

So to clarify - Bichi wines are natural, but contain unusually high levels of histamine. 

17 hours ago, aek said:

That's some consolation prize right there. Who's still bringing wild turbot in? Browne?

I think regalis are learning an important lesson today about why retail prices are higher than wholesale. 

3 hours ago, Orik said:

That's some consolation prize right there. Who's still bringing wild turbot in? Browne?

I think regalis are learning an important lesson today about why retail prices are higher than wholesale. 

La reserve