9 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

I know Pesto alla Trapanese is made with basil.  I was talking about the bottled so-called “Pepperoni Pesto” I used. 

Told you I was annoying.

8 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Oh right.  

See above.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

One other thing about this wine, and then I'll stop.

It has an extremely dark color.  Deep deep purple.  But in all other ways, it's a light wine.

I'm not sure I can think of another with that combination of characteristics.  (Anyone?)

I guess I've had some canary listans that were very dark but light.

• Like 1

Tonight presented an unusual choice between sushi and a burger.  I decided (pace mitchells) that the uni was in more danger of going bad than the hamburger meat (and I had two portions left of uni but only one of hamburger).

So, Uni Gunkan Maki with sliced cucumber and gari.

You know what the good thing about making sushi is?  You don't have to worry about its getting cold while you do whatever last-minute things you'd forgotten to do before meal prep.

Equipo Navazos La Bota de Fino No. 27

It would be idle to deny that this has deteriorated some since being opened last week.

I'll still take it.

So tonight, the burger.  Cheese, onion, bread and butter pickles, mustard, (green tomato) ketchup.

Pickled cabbage on the side.  And black-eyed peas.

Sometimes the obvious choice is a good choice.

2016 Lapierre Morgon

You might have heard that Beaujolais is good with burgers, Morgon maybe best of all.  You might also have heard that Lapierre makes a pretty good Morgon.

Here we are at Ground Zero of the natural wine movement.  And the original is still the greatest.

This tastes to me like it's just at the beginning of its window.  (I like Beaujolais with some age on them.  Which is why I find Lapierre's non-sulphered "N" bottlings a little scary; this was an "S".)  The fruit is just gorgeous:  bushels of red berries.  But there's a developing secondary layer (the kind of thing we used to think, decades ago, that Beaujolais never had) that tastes like it could develop some more:  herbs, forest floor.  OTOH, where the fruit is at right now is just about perfect.

Lapierre doesn't need any praise from me.  But boy am I happy to drink this. 

Leftover Labskaus!  Trad accompaniments (and guilt-induced pickled string beans).

It occurred to me that the perfect pairing was right in front of me.

N/V Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray

The sharp flavor with sweet overtones was perfect with pickles.

We already know it's great with corned beef.

9 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Leftover Labskaus!  Trad accompaniments (and guilt-induced pickled string beans).

It occurred to me that the perfect pairing was right in front of me.

N/V Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray

The sharp flavor with sweet overtones was perfect with pickles.

We already know it's great with corned beef.

The perfect pairing is actually Flensburger Pilsner.

• Like 1