• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

On Passover, every Jew is a king.  But some of us are also scullery maids.

Gefilte fish.  Then matzoh ball soup.  (This year, following Joan Nathan, I went crazy and put spices into my matzoh balls.  As opposed as I am to that in theory, it tasted good.  REALLY good.)  Then Michael Solomonov's Mom's coffee-braised brisket.

Last year I improvised a brisket that tried to replicate what Jewish ladies on Long Island made in the '50s and '60s.  To tell you the truth, I liked mine better than Michael Solomonov's Mom's.  I wish I could remember what I put in it.

I wasn't going to open up a white wine just for the gefilte fish, and you don't really drink wine with matzoh ball soup.  So this pairing was just for the brisket.

2005 Couvent des Jacobins

I thought a right-bank Bordeaux would be good with the fatty meat in the coffee braise.  Frankly, I thought I had something a little grander on hand.  But this is what I could find.

This wasn't a great wine.  But it was very very good.  I wonder if there's any Cabernet Sauvignon in this at all:  it didn't have that Cab meatiness.  It did have a lot of friendly Merlot fruit (a LOT), and some Cab Franc twinkle.  And, yes, coffee.

It worked!

But the best part was dessert:  raspberry and orange ring jells, and those jellied fruit slices that must seem repulsive to anyone who didn't grow up eating them, but are an unbelievable treat to anyone who did.

None of these tastes like anything that exists in nature.  But whatever realm it is they come from, I like it. 

Also, I'm still shocked at how easy matzoh balls are to make.  I had thought they were difficult.

I wonder if there are a bunch of drop dumplings I could be making that are this easy?

12 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Also, I'm still shocked at how easy matzoh balls are to make.  I had thought they were difficult.

I wonder if there are a bunch of drop dumplings I could be making that are this easy?

Indeed.    (Even gingerbread dumplings in hot applesauce, a Girl Scout camp staple.)

17 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I see that chicken and dumplings are definitely looming in my future.

Go to your butcher and get some beef suet.    It should be free.   He can just carve off a thick slice from a prime rib.  Freeze it in, say, half cup portions.   Grate it on your box grater.   -> fabulous dumplings!    Horseradish. as well as herbs, is an interesting addition.   

Tempura shad.

We can safely say that tempura is a cooking technique I have not yet mastered.  But what was disappointing about this is that it didn't do what tempura is supposed to do for shad:  it didn't melt the multitudinous bones.  Yet, I can't have undercooked it:  the coating was practically burnt.

Raw chrysanthemum greens on the side.  How delicious are these?

Good wine pairing, though.

2019 Vignes sur Volcan Urfé (Gilles Bonnefoy) Sauvignons Gris et Blanc de Madone

My last bottle of this really good, really interesting blend of Sauvignons Blanc and Gris.

I can imagine someone saying that a straight Blanc would have been a better match for the highly fried fish, as it's sharper.  But there's a lot to be said for the extra punch the Gris adds, when faced with such a flavorful fish as shad (still very noticeable even through all the frying and the quite spicy dipping sauce).

I do give this a high recommendation.