1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

(Hmmmmm:  rhymes with loose car . . . .) (Comes from a geographical location that shares a name with the nerdy youngest Thatcher daughter on '90s TV . . . .)

Now I'm excited!

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Behemoth said:

I’m in a cooking rut. 

I'm in a rut, too:  a RAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPP rut.  And I like it.

RAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMPPPPPPP omelette with Tomme Brûlée.  To be clear, the cheese is called Tomme Brûlée -- I didn't brûlée it.  In fact, this was the most conventionally successful omelette I've ever made (and trust me, I've been fucking up omelettes for almost half a century).*

Steamed inferior domestic white asparagus (with cheddar cultured butter) on the side.

And -- this was a big part of my plan -- it all went perfectly with the remainder of the bottle I opened last night to cook my goat.

2018 Domaine du Carrou (Dominique Roger) Sancerre

I've had bad, or at least lukewarm, things to say about this wine in the past (I seem to have tons of it).  But maybe because there is nothing better than a Sancerre with a tangy alliumed-out omelette, this tasted just about ideal tonight.  A down-the-middle high-typicity Sancerre with a down-the-middle high-typicity Sancerre pairing.  I could convince myself I was sitting in a café in Paris -- except they don't have RAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSS there.

Life is good.

* I attribute this newfound success to my acquisition of cooking chopsticks.  They finally enable me to get the small curds that Jacques Pepin goes on about without ruining my non-stick pan by using a fork to smush the eggs around, as Jacques dictates (as someone somewhere once remarked, only a person who gets unlimited amounts of free cookware could recommend abusing pans -- Pepin insists you use nonstick with your fork -- like that).

• Like 1

I still can't get over the fact that there's a stand at the GAP Greenmarket that, at least as of now, sells nothing but RAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSS and potato chips.

I think I may just move underneath their table until late May.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, voyager said:

But do you create a tornado omelet?  

I had forgotten about this thing after intending to try making it a while back. Whelp! I have tried. And failed. I made a sort of bow-tie omelette.

43 minutes ago, small h said:

I had forgotten about this thing after intending to try making it a while back. Whelp! I have tried. And failed. I made a sort of bow-tie omelette.

Bow-tie omelette, the next big thing!

On 4/21/2021 at 11:17 AM, Wilfrid said:

For omelettes and scrambled eggs, I just use a wooden fork and a non-stick pan. I think it was originally meant to be a salad fork, paired with a long lost wooden spoon.

See, I have a wooden salad fork.  But on mine, the tines are so big they can't generate those desirable small curds.  It's really no better than a small spatula.

10 minutes ago, small h said:

The starch/tongs method has inspired me to try again tomorrow. Also the End Scene notations.

Note also that it is the PAN that is turned, not the chopsticks or tongs.