• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

Well, one problem is that I don't have a nonstick 10" pan.  That would probably help. I have a nice 10" pan, but it's not nonstick, and it has a rim that makes rolling the omelette difficult. But I'll keep trying. I managed to get good at bread, after about 50 tries.

21 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

Actually, a one-egg omelet can work in an 8" pan...

739343481_2015_01One-eggomelet.thumb.JPG.1f5aa8b2843e43dd4b0131fc2edc4365.JPG

91003705_Omelet2018-06-1207825.thumb.JPG.124e000937b073c075ad437ee54189d8.JPG

1039861820_2014_09_07Frenchcheeseomelet.thumb.JPG.38cdb834e841bc65ad4c82e55a1d93fa.JPG

Not as perfect as Jacques 3-egg omelets are, but I'm not serving it in a restaurant, and my arm gets tired, so...

1 hour ago, small h said:

I I can't replicate his method to save my life. See also...

47 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

Yes you can!

26 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

8" nonstick. I think the 10" pan is too large. 

small h, it's not you, it's your pan.  

59 minutes ago, Evelyn said:

I wonder how many nonstick pans he destroys each year using the metal forks for omelets...

If you watch his technique, it appears he (almost) never touches the fork to the pan.   I am reminded of one of our son's girl friends who used to watch me in the kitchen.   She demolished a non-stick pan by using a metal "scrunge" with vigor.    "But you mother does the same thing!"    No, it looked like it but I never touched the surface of the pan, just "kissed" the stuck on stuff.

• Like 1

It's actually a little smaller than 10" (I guess it's a non-standard size). And it's not so much the egg setting too quickly as the pan not heating evenly enough. So some parts of the omelette release before others.

More of that goat.

Although it still tastes like there were a few too many anchovies tossed into the gravy, the anchovies did, as I had hoped/expected, integrate more fully over several days in the fridge.  This is really good (I mean, the meat, just as meat, is like a room without a roof).  I almost wish I'd reheated a larger portion.

Since the sorrel and the ramp leaves have also long since disappeared into the gravy, I sautéed some brocolli rabe on the side.

And, as I said:

1999 Chateau Musar

This wasn't the knockout pairing I had hoped for, probably because 1999 turns out to have been one of Musar's heavier, richer, more Cab-leaning vintages, rather than one of its Rhônier ones.

Nevertheless, objectively (forgetting the pairing) this is a wonderful wine.  While different vintages of Musar never really taste like each other, they never really taste like anything else, either.  For example, Musar doesn't taste like the Cab-Merlot/Southern Rhône grape blends they make in Southwestern France, even though the blends aren't wildly dissimilar.  I don't know if it's the terroir (the Becca Valley has to be pretty unique) or the winemaking, or both, but this is a totally distinctive, totally delicious wine.  The long savory, slightly funky, finish really doesn't taste like anything else I know in the wine world.