• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

What counts as a “German” potato salad? In Germany there are basically two kinds, North (with mayo) and South (no mayo).

I can’t deal with the mayo kind though I like mayo on other things, including potatoes, go figure. 

9 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

It's funny, when you think of it, that one of the great dishes in Ashkenazic Jewish cuisine is called Montreal Steak. 

I consider myself well versed in Askhenazic jewish cuisine, but I've never heard of Montreal Steak. What is it?

7 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

I consider myself well versed in Askhenazic jewish cuisine, but I've never heard of Montreal Steak. What is it?

Montreal Steak is the answer to the question, what would happen if a mid-20th Century Schwartz's grillman decided to try putting the spice blend used in curing smoked meat on a steak before grilling it?  The grillman initially did this for his own delectation.  But a customer saw it and asked for one.  Word got out, and the steak became wildly popular on the Montreal deli scene.  (It was a favorite of Leonard Cohen's at The Main, where he was a regular.)

Then a funny thing happened.  McCormick's picked up on this and issued an approximation of the Schwartz's blend that they called Montreal seasoning, now packaged as @small h pictured above.  This really took off in Middle America, becoming McCormick's top-selling spice mix.  The Middle Americans appear to think that, because the mix is named after Montreal, it's somehow French.  They don't realize that it's Jewish Deli.

(Of course, I get my spice mix directly from Schwartz's.  I'm not gonna use McCormick's.  (A) The original is still the greatest.  (B) I'm not gonna buy Jewish Deli stuff from the Goyim.) (Yeah I know Schwartz's is now part-owned by Celine Dion.  But still.)

Of course, if you want to make it nice, you do things like marinate the steak in olive oil and Worcestershire sauce with garlic, salt, pepper, and smoked meat spices before cooking.  (You put on more smoked meat spices immediately before grilling.)

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

(Of course, I get my spice mix directly from Schwartz's.  I'm not gonna use McCormick's.  (A) The original is still the greatest.  (B) I'm not gonna buy Jewish Deli stuff from the Goyim.) (Yeah I know Schwartz's is now part-owned by Celine Dion.  But still.)

Speaking of McCormick's - here's an interesting story:

The Jewish Roots of Old Bay Seasoning

Carabineiros al ajillo.  Not to put too fine a point to it, this looked like shit (well, more like vomit).  But I don't know what you'd have to do to make this taste bad.  Indeed, it was delicious.

Sautéed flowering kale on the side.  And, of course, lots and lots and lots of crusty bread.  (I live within stumbling distance of what I'm convinced is some of the best baguette in New York!)

The wine came from the Loire district of Spain.

2018 Domaine Vincent Ricard Pierre à Feu

Yeah, another Vincent Ricard.  This one from not old but oldish vines, grown in silex.  ("The name 'Silex' was already taken," Ricard has remarked ruefully.)

Which is why it's a surprise that it tastes the way it does.  You'd expect an austere, even astringent, expression of Sauvignon Blanc.  But what you get borders on the exuberant, with sweetish honeyed fruit joining the grapefruit at the very start, and sticking till the finish.

Which made it a less ideal pairing for this dish than a normal Sauvignon Blanc would have been.  But a marvelous quaff.  (And:  $20!!!!!!!!!)

I should note that even I somehow resisted the impulse to put RAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMPPPPPPPSSSSSSS into this (as we all buy our last batches of 2021) (mine was a particularly BIG batch).  Some things are not to be messed with.