46 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

I have to say that my new cloth napkins are making a substantial contribution to the illusion I try to maintain that my life is worth living.   Thanks, @Behemoth!

Right? Glad I could help! 😁

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

On 10/2/2021 at 1:38 AM, Sneakeater said:

This is hardly an original observation, but the session musicians Motown used were just The Shit, right?

That guitarist has got to be Dennis Coffey, right (even though Michael shouts out that it’s Tito:  I mean COME ON)?  What a motherfucker.

Roast pork tenderloin with lemon and fennel.  Braised fennel on the side.  And white beans.

This was really put together to use up some things in my refrigerator that needed to be eaten NOW.  It's kind of remarkable that I was able to fashion such a stylistically coherent (Tuscan) meal from them.  I guess it's the luck of draw:  usually such circumstances lead to Frankendinner.  (For ME:  @voyager and @joethefoodie and @small h, for three, seem to be able to deal with such situations beautifully.)

I think the entire world would agree on what kind of wine you drink with this.

2010 Castello di Ama Chianti Classico Gran Selezione "San Lorenzo"

I wonder how I came to have this.  It's a big, extracted Chianti -- with some Merlot in it. 

As for the Merlot, let me tell you a secret:  while ideologically I hate the idea of foreign grapes in Chianti, I happen to think that Merlot blends beautifully with Sangiovese (I also like the way Syrah blends with Sangiovese, which I guess gets me barred from contemporary Montalcino).

So for me, the Merlot may be a secret plus.  The big, extracted part is still a problem, though.  Even after 11 years, this borders on jammy:  "mouthfilling" in the worst way.  I guess I should have given it a longer decant.

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

The big, extracted part is still a problem, though.  Even after 11 years, this borders on jammy, "mouthfilling" in the worst way.  I guess I should have given it a longer decant.

And, indeed, this is seeming to get better the longer it has had to breath.

Of course, part of that might be "wine goggles" as I finish the bottle.

Tonight's fridge-reduction resulted in two dishes that were remarkably well-put-together in themselves (albeit with a newly purchased ringer protein), even if they didn't have much to do with each other.

Flounder with a sort of Concord grape/corn relish (this was really delicious, if I may say that about a dish I kind of made up myself).  On the side, Cavolfiore in Umido (which I shamelessly stole from @Diancecht).  Who doesn't love that, though?  (I'm just glad that none of you could see the state of the tomatoes I used.)

What with the corn and all, it seemed to me that this called for a Chardonnay.  The flounder dish was kind of like The Mid-Atlantic On A Plate, so a Finger Lakes Chardonnay would have been nice.  Ooops, don't have any.

The first Chardonnay I found in my storage units is one I tend not to like much, although I seem to have it around.

2016 Domaine des Terres de Chatenay Macôn-Villages "La Cuvée de Béracius"

You know what?  Maybe this just needed some bottle age.  This seemed much better than previous bottles.  I'll be.  (Of course, it could just be spillover good vibes from that wonderful flounder dish.)

Apples.  Pears.  (We're clearly in Autumn territory here.)  Then, some citrus.  A hint -- but just that -- of some herbs.  Minerals all around to finish.

I found previous bottles too thick and too dull.  Apparently, that's all worked itself out now.

I think this is my last bottle, though.  Damn.

Taking off from Rick Moonen's Bluefish Dijonnaise recipe, blue fish broiled with sweet German mustard/mustard-based hot sauce/hyssop/mayonnaise goop on top.  Dilled steamed potatoes on the side, and sautéed Caraflex cabbage and shallot.

I could imagine people with more sensitive palates not liking this very much (I shudder to think what my wife would have said).  But I liked it fine.

This oily fish with a spicy topping seemed to call out for a Grüner Veltliner.

2019 Bloomer Creek Vineyard Grüner Veltliner

Yeah these Bloomer Creek guys have it down.

This doesn't taste particularly Natural (although it is).  It just tastes extremely pure.  It's a little higher powered than an Old World Grüner, but not in any overly prepossessing way.  It's just very present, if you know what I mean.

He closed all his restaurants here a couple of years ago. And at the time supposedly was going to open a new one in the Arts District downtown. And perhaps another one elsewhere in the suburbs of LV. I haven't seen him or heard any updates since.