This was a Midnight Pasta insofar as I got home late from an opera and made it around midnight.  But it took more time than a Midnight Pasta should.

What it really was, is a Refrigerator Pasta.  It was made with stuff laying around, some of which was demanding to be cooked and eaten NOW (or better still, a few days ago).

Cavatelli with spigarello, sorrel, anchovies, capers, leek, garlic, creme fraiche, and ricotta salata.

This is like something @voyager would make.  Except what she makes is lovely.  This was, in my usual manner, unsightly.  Tasted fine.

Also a Refrigerator Wine.

2017 Stephan Steinmetz Elbling

In no way would this be my primary choice for this pasta.  But they went pretty well together.

This wine, remember, has understated tropical fruit and then LOTS of acid and minerals.  So really why wouldn't it go with this pasta?

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

....It was made with stuff laying around, some of which was demanding to be cooked and eaten NOW (or better still, a few days ago).

....This is like something @voyager would make. 

I see that I'm busted!   

(If anyone wants to know, the opera was Luigi Rossi’s L’Orfeo at Juilliard, playing through the weekend.  Well worth your time, money, and attention, if you happen to be in New York.  A blast, in fact.)

My first successful sticky glaze!  It's amazing what you can do if you just pay attention.

Broiled sablefish in a soy/garlic/turmeric/ginger glaze.  Not only was this huge piece of fish delicious tonight, but the lunchtime salad it will now make will be poppin'.

Over (umami-setting) rice.  Raw kale/radicchio salad on the side.  (I mean, how nice has my thyroid been to me?)

The wine pairing took two, maybe two-and-a-half, seconds of thought.

2012 Weegmüler Riesling Trocken "Bom Gelben Fels"

A dry Pfalz Riesling is what's called for here -- and for its reasonable price, this is a good one.

It had the salinity I wanted to go with the soy sauce, and the very very faint hint of sweetness to counterbalance it (then, the acid and minerals kick in for the finish).  The fruit (apple, citrus) isn't overwhelming:  just nice.

The youngest daughter of the people I usually have Thanksgiving with (they host duh) is currently a Resident who's on duty tonight.  So they made Thanksgiving a day early, yesterday.  Which left me to my own devices on Real Thanksgiving, tonight.

Which actually was great with me.

Pan-roasted partridge with cranberry mushroom gravy.  Baked squash with ginger and turmeric.  Baked sweet potato.  Steamed cabbage and chicory.  Just about everything drenched in butter (last time I ate at Dame, I realized that I'll think just about anything is delicious if it has enough butter in it -- not that I cook like that normally).

2019 Floral Terranes Merlot

This is another wine that is made from grapes I think are sourced from someone's backyard in the North Fork (on land stolen from the Lanape, in other words).

This is pretty low key.  It's almost syrupy, but not in a glyceriney "mouth-filling" way.  It just tastes like fruit syrup.  It's very grapey.  You'd never believe that Pomerols are made from the same grape.

It's also low key in that, for a Natural wine, it's not particularly funky.  It tastes like grape.  I've never had raw whole Merlot grapes -- but I'll bet this is something like what they taste like.

It's very enjoyable.  That pronounced fruit flavor went with the cranberries in the gravy more than a "normal" wine would have.

I can't imagine it has much, if any, aging potential.  (It's already one year out from release.)  It's a little expensive for what it is -- but that's Long Island:  nothing you can do about it.

I'd recommend it as a nice everyday quaff.  For Thanksgiving by myself, it was fine.

Even I was a little wary of using the final remnants of last week's sablefish (which I've been happily picking at for lunch since I made it, at one point turning some of it into a salad:  it was a great leftover).  But I just can't throw away food that smells fine and isn't throbbing.

So, a sort of Asian omelette with the fish and its sauce and the remaining rice.  On the side, the kale/radicchio salad I'd made with it:  no one could dispute that sitting in oil and vinegar for a week only helps raw kale and chicory.

This just gets a Riesling Trocken.  That's all.

2012 Peter Jakob Kühn Rielsing Trocken "Jacobus"

Unfortunately, this particular Riesling Trocken (whose cork was um funny) seems to have turned.  Not to the point of being undrinkable -- only to the point of being not that good.

Sort of appropriate for the food, when you think about it.