• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

I was thinking that.  But frankly these are better than the stuff I'm used to getting from them.

But I don't know where ELSE they could have come from.  So maybe I'm just being too tough on Fossil (which I'm pretty sure is the source of what will be my Christmas Dinner chops, which are looking pretty great raw).

OK, getting up and going into my fridge to look at the label (yeah I know:  why clutter discussions with FACTS?), I see that these are made, not with apples and pears, but with Madeira and potatoes (POTATOES????).  They were in an obscure recess of my freezer, so maybe they're an old offering, though.

Wherever these sausages were from, I really recommend them highly.  (THAT'S useful, isn't it?)

10 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I'm pretty eager to try an elk steak or chop now, though.  THAT I can tell you.

When we were first married (i.e., paying our own bills for the first time), my in-laws helped out by giving us a seemingly endless supply of elk steaks and "chops".    And burger.    And stewing cuts.    I don't hanker for more.    Of course, I might cook them slightly differently today. 

Double venison chop with a cranberry/juniper/chanterelles/Scotch pan gravy (I mean I sous-vided the chop; the pan part came only from searing it after it was done with its bath).  Boiled potatoes.  Steamed baby bok choy.

When you have a cranberry/mushroom gravy, you kind of have to think about a Burgundy.

1999 Robert Ampeau et Fils Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru "Lavières"

Yeah, a wine that tastes of cranberries and mushrooms kind of couldn't be more appropriate here.  You also get damp earth/wet stone:  flavors that people might think are just stupid descriptors pretentious wine guys put into tasting notes . . . until they drink a wine like this and see that's what it tastes like.

This wine is toward the end of its window.  Which means, make no mistake, that it's still in its window.  It just isn't going to go anywhere particularly good from here.

Tonight, it was perfect.