• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

It would be interesting to compare this Pelaverga to a Lacrima di Morro d'Alba (NOT the Piemontese Alba), which is similarly floral, but then sort of just stops.  (THAT'S what I should have drunk with that Vaguely Persian Lamb Shank last week:  NOW I realize!)

Sole Munière.  How lucky that one of the great fish dishes in all of world cuisine is stupid easy to make.  (Except for paying for the sole, that is.)

Braised fennel on the side.  This is also so good, and so easy, that I wonder why I don't make it more.

White Burgundy duh.

2014 Domaine Corsin Saint-Véran "Tirage Précose"

Domaine Corsin's Saint-Véran is a favorite budget white Burgundy of mine.  I usually have their "Vielles Vignes" bottlings, though.   I guess "Tirage Précose" is sort of the opposite.  I generally prefer late harvests to early ones.

This superb main dish would have deserved last week's superb Boisson Mersault.  But I already drank that, with another dish that deserved it.

The best is the enemy of the good.  This wine is fine, very drinkable, not simplistic, admirable for its modest price.  It also isn't a patch on that Boisson Mersault.

I had a Spear Squid.  So:

Squid two ways.

First, tempura.  This was the first successful tempura I've ever made.  (To allude obliquely to a discussion in another thread, "successful" for me at home.  If I were served this in a restaurant, I'd balk.)  Especially good was a dipping sauce I made a long time ago that had been lurking in an unseen corner of my refrigerator, and has gotten even better over time.

Then, chirashi sushi.  OK, it's a little embarrassing that the uncooked squid was better than the squid I cooked.  (To be fair to me, though, the raw requires a decent amount of prep.)  But boy was it good.  This Spear Squid has a sweetness that's unbeatable, squidwise.  The best sushi rice I've ever made, too.  As I've done in the past, I replaced the trad pickled ginger with pickled summer squash (not pickled by me).  That pickled squash would be Big In Japan, if only they'd try it.

I decided, for fairly obvious reasons, that an Albariño would be good with this.  Then I remembered I had this old bottle lying around wanting to be drunk.

2013 Adegas Moure Tradición Blanco

A Ribera Sacra blend of Albariño, Godello, and Torrontés.  I think the Torrontés is what somewhat queered this as a pairing tonight:  its thick flavors overwhelmed the raw squid, and somewhat dimmed the acid needed to balance the fried.

On its own, a good, interesting, well-conceived wine.  And it isn't too old, either.

For reasons I can only speculate about someone gave me a bottle of Snoop Dogg's 19 Crimes Cali Red.  It's not clear what's in the bottle, but it tastes like a so-so merlot.  Once you get past Snoop's photo on the label it ain't much.

Pluma Ibérico on a mess (and I use that term advisedly) of mushrooms that were braised in Sherry.  Remarkably, this dish was made entirely of stuff I had laying around.  I wish everything I made tasted this delicious.  (And I managed to keep the pork rare like they eat it in Spain, overcoming several millennia of ethnic cultural indoctrination!) (If the hand of Yahweh scoops me up and deposits me in Gehenna while I sleep tonight, you'll know why.)

Sautéed kale on the side.

I really stretched for the pairing.  How did I ever think of this wine with a Spanish pork dish?

2001 Beronia Rioja Gran Reserva (there was a picture of Snoop Doggy Dogg on the label)

I was a little worried, but this is showing quite nicely.  Maybe a bit too refined for what was really a fairly rustic, full-flavored main dish.  But quite the drink.

Its age shows in some slightly vegetal undertones.  But the overtones!  Very smooth very refined cherry fruit and -- this came with age, I'll bet -- some plum.  Then, the Aged Old World Wine trip to the tobacco shop, the stationery store (for some cedar pencils), and the leather emporium -- with a stop at an herb garden along the way.  All, again, very refined:  no brawn at all at this point (anyway, this is a Rioja, not a Ribera del Duero).

Unfashionable?  Sure.  Delicous?  You bet!

9 hours ago, hollywood said:

For reasons I can only speculate about someone gave me a bottle of Snoop Dogg's 19 Crimes Cali Red.  It's not clear what's in the bottle, but it tastes like a so-so merlot.  Once you get past Snoop's photo on the label it ain't much.

Snoop Cali Red is the debut wine release of Snoop’s multi-year partnership with the Australian wine brand 19 Crimes, a line of wines that feature the "convicts-turned-colonists" who built Australia. The wine is promoted as the brand’s first California wine and fittingly features Snoop's face on the label. The red wine blend includes 65 percent Petite Syrah, 30 percent Zinfandel, and 5 percent Merlot for $12 a bottle, according to Food & Wine.

DELISH

• Haha 1

Cuz I just want to eat what joethefoodie eats.

Cuz this is like the best post-concert dinner ever.  (Especially since someone I ran into at the concert said something that made me realize I had an hour and a half's worth of work to do before dinner after I got home.)

Brouillade de truffe (I don't want to exaggerate by using the plural).  Chard salad (as distinct from charred salad) (now that sounds like something I'd like) on the side.

Boring pairing.  But like come on.

2016 Talmard Macon-Uchizy

This isn't one of my favorites of the inexpensive white Burgundies I have around.  The problem, I think, is that there's too much acid, and not enough roundness.  Could I be complaining that it doesn't see any oak?  Probably I should have picked a different Burgundy for the truffle and saved this for some shellfish or something.