• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

I think the theory is that this way you get these native strains that haven’t had the flavor bred out of them. 

50 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Hmm, but that suggests they are growing wild, somewhere: I am puzzled but I haven’t looked at this.

Not really wild.   Suppose you were a workerperson in the yard next door to ours and saw a tree loaded with Golden Delicious apples and snagged a few from this tree that was mature when we bought the place some 45 years ago.    Certainly not the same Golden Delicious that you'd buy a block away at my corner store.

Anecdote: we were driving in the high country up from our weekend place and came across a roadside tree decorated like a Christmas tree with apricot sized orange fruit.    I jumped out and picked one, deeming it a gone-wild persimmon, proceeded to open it and take a bite.   Our then teenage son, screamed, "You can't seriously be going to EAT that!?"   Did, and am still around 30 years later.  

27 minutes ago, voyager said:

Not really wild.   Suppose you were a workerperson in the yard next door to ours and saw a tree loaded with Golden Delicious apples and snagged a few from this tree that was mature when we bought the place some 45 years ago.    Certainly not the same Golden Delicious that you'd buy a block away at my corner store.

Right, nicking them from next door.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

If you drive in the country in the spring you come across many flowering trees, scion of hikers' tossed pits.    Many revert to rootstock which is will not produce the same fruit as a grafted tree.    Not sure where hybredation comes into this.