My favorite was the proprietary hot sauce at Dorado Tacos on 12th Street, but they discontinued it. Tabasco is distinctive but not very exciting.

Rancho's Gay Caballero is delicious, but not, despite the label, "very hot." Also it pours too freely. It needs a ...dropper? I realize I don't know what you call the plastic cap with the little hole.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

The bottles are called woozy bottles, the little thing is usually called a dripper or less often a dropper (or an orifice reducer 😶

Perdiz escabechada.

When you make a dish this deeply traditional, it's hard to take any credit even when it turns out fantastically.  It's not you:  it's the centuries of tradition.

Ramp bread for sopping up that scrumptious brine or marinade or whatever you call it.

Steamed green beans on the side.

Like everybody else, I like sherry with this.

Equipo Navazos La Bota de Manzanilla Pasada No. 30

This is a Manzanilla left to age for a long time, so it almost develops into an Amantillado.  But it's fresher than an Amantillado, while being more savory than a standard Manzanilla.

One of the best sherries I've ever had.

Perfect with the pickled partridge.  Heaven.

• Like 1
On 7/12/2022 at 10:34 PM, Sneakeater said:

I even have some gravy left over to have over noodles or rice in the future yo.

The future is now.  Where's my jetpack?

Leftover gravy from the braised pig cheeks (the cheeks themselves are all in the past) over PA Dutch noodles.  Sautéed flowering broccolini on the side.

I was thinking of something funky.  I ended up with one of the least funky wines I have.

2019 Le Roc des Anges "Segna de Cor"

This Côtes Catalanes (since it's from the part of France that thinks it's in Catalonia it's a natural pairing for Spanish food) is a good example of how a wine can be biodynamic but still mainstream "Modern" rather than in any way Natural.

It's also a good example, tonight, of how a style of wine you don't usually favor can really shine with the right pairing.  (Making it, finally, a good example of the total incorrectness of the claim that pairings don't matter.)

This is mainly Grenache, with the minority position about evenly split between Carignan and Syrah.  It's fruity in the Old Skool sense, the kind of wine that would be a Fruit Bomb if it were just a bit more prepossessing.  Credit the winemaker, Marjorie Gallet, with showing some restraint (if not as much as I'd normally like).  There are some secondary flavors (not Garrigue), but they aren't very distinct.  This is mainly about the fruit.

Normally my response to a wine like this would be somewhere between "yawn" and "yuck".  But with this REALLY full-flavored gravy, the strong fruit just let the wine hold its own.

Let a thousand flowers bloom.

To be absolutely fair, this wine must have some appeal even absent that food.

Since the bottle was still about a third full at the end of dinner, and it seems to be empty now.

3 hours ago, hollywood said:

simple chilled white burgundies

That's a majority of what I've been drinking, too.

Really, what could be better now?

And you're right:  SIMPLE ones.

Well, I had one more portion of those pot beans, and some tortillas that weren't getting any fresher.  And, I'm now fascinated that (a) I can make refritos and (b) it's fucking EASY.

SO:  more Huevos Rancheros.  (I was going to make a salsa -- but I forgot to pick up some cherry tomatoes at the Greenmarket Saturday.  So more Cholula.  Cooks Illustrated can bite me.)

With some steamed haricots verts on the side.  You could say that this dinner had a pulse.

Boy am I proud of the pairing I thought up.

N/V [as far as I can tell] Francesco Vezzelli Lambrusco Grasparossa di Castelvetro "Rive dei Ciliegi"

It just hit me mid-afternoon that a Lambrusco would be GREAT with Huevos Rancheros.  To be sure, Grasparossa di Castelvetro is the heaviest, most serious kind of Lambrusco -- that's why I have it -- and this dish might have preferred one of the lighter racier ones.  OTOH, the tannic structure kind of bonded with the eggs, which was nice (even if a lighter Lambrusco would have gone better with the hot pepper in the Cholula sauce).  So I can imagine a better Lambrusco for this dish -- but I couldn't imagine a better pairing than some kind of Lambrusco.

The wine itself is super.  It IS kind of heavy and serious for a Lambrusco -- but no worse for it.  The grapey fruit is so delicious.  This would be great with a burger!