Burgers.  One cheese with ketchup, mustard, field onions and pickles; and one with hatch chili pesto (store-bought as if there was any question), field onions, and a grilled garlic scape.

I'm sure it's not a coincidence that Patti Ann's Bakery (the bakery associated with Olmsted) has suddenly come out with potato buns.  They're kind of fabulous.

Duck-fat fries.  And raw sugar snaps.

The hatch chili kind of called for a Cabernet Franc.  Everything else, and the weather, called for something light and chilled (well cellar temp).

2020 Nathan K. Cabernet Franc

My last bottle of what was my Red Wine Of Last Summer.  So I guess Last Summer is finally over.

Nathan Kendall, in the Finger Lakes, just nailed this:  insouciant but not devoid of substance.  Fresh as a breeze (even one year on).

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

When I was a tyke, there was a hamburger stand in our town that always grilled onions on their burgers.    Cliff's.    11¢.   Who knew we were ahead of the curve?

1980733586_ScreenShot2022-07-20at7_37_58AM.thumb.png.58736c8f3bc739729943c0ff224be031.png

Minty Lamb Sausage with a Verjus/Cherry/Shallot/Mustard reduction (nice when the stuff sort of hanging around in your refrigerator/pantry fits together into something nice).  Over Tepary beans, which were probably surplus to use -- but they weren't just hanging around, they were festering.

Steamed haricots verts on the side (another dinner with a PULSE) (OK I'll stop).

The wine, happily, required no thought at all.

2016 Domaine Jaume Vinsobres "Altitude 420"

A Southern Rhone made of Grenache and Syrah.  Right?

The grapes are grown high altitude (you thought the name meant something else?).  So there's plenty of acid here; this is racy rather than syrupy.  But the brambly berry fruit is still substantial.  Then the garrigue takes it away, along with plenty of minerals and (believe it or not) some charcoal.

On 7/20/2022 at 10:43 AM, voyager said:

When I was a tyke, there was a hamburger stand in our town that always grilled onions on their burgers.    Cliff's.    11¢.   Who knew we were ahead of the curve?

And you weren't even in Oklahoma!

I normally wouldn't have written this up, as tonight's pickled-partridge-and-Sherry pairing just repeated a leftover pairing from a few days ago.

But, see, I needed something to do while I brought the leftover Perdiz Eschabechada up to room temperature.  (Sautéing the accompanying broccolini and heating up the ramp bread would only be a matter of minutes.)  And I was having some leftover Sherry with dinner (what a great pairing!) anyway.

SO:

Bamboo

1-1/2 oz. Sherry

1-1/2 oz. dry Vermouth

2 dashes Angostura bitters

2 dashes orange bitters

Expressed lemon twist, olive garnish

Stir.  Strain.  Garnish.

This is the very picture of a classic cocktail:  simple, perfect.  I've seen some recipes omit the olive garnish.  DO NOT DO THIS.  The brine of the olive mates with the saline Sherry just as the citrus kick of the lemon twist does with the Vermouth.

After the partridge, I had a Pallini Limoncello for dessert.  Despite its lack of geographical and cultural propinquity, it could have been made to follow up a Perdiz Escabechada.

7 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Bamboo

1-1/2 oz. Sherry

1-1/2 oz. dry Vermouth

2 dashes Angostura bitters

2 dashes orange bitters

Expressed lemon twist, olive garnish

Stir.  Strain.  Garnish.

What I love about the Bamboo is - obviously its ability to change based on sherry/vermouth used.  I like it as a dry to off-dry cocktail, but it certainly can morph and still be delish.  It's a good cocktail for playing around with, that's for sure!

https://imbibemagazine.com/three-ways-bamboo-cocktail/