5 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Guys, thank you. Outstanding dinner tonight. Beef liver at $3.69 per lb from my local supermarket. Dusted with paprika, salt and pepper, seared: crispy outside with a pink, rare center. Served with a butter and pomegranate balsamico reduction and braised radishes. 

I have two more big slices of the stuff, so this probably cost about $1.20 for dinner. But the flavor is strong; you have to like it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci_W22dMk0B/?igshid=NmNmNjAwNzg=

Not sure I'd go there, but if you're happy, I'm happy.   

As I wrote, it's in the sourcing and the butchering.   Gotta be young and pink, gotta be butchered into very thick slices.   Our butcher-boys don't seem to get this so I'm guessing that the only way to acquire it is to buy a whole liver and have a dinner party.   It would certainly work with my group, maybe not yours.

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Mm, but I am very consciously offering beef (or ox) liver there, not calf’s liver which is so different. Like, check the price.

This is food I ate when I was broke, I am just much better at cooking it than when I was at college.

Got it.   And as I preach, there is no bad food, only bad cooks.   So KUDUS to you!   

21 hours ago, voyager said:

Agree with Wilf and Orik.

Have you ever had properly sourced,  butchered and sautéed foie de veau, 3cm thick, crusted but rosy rare?   Even liver-hating husband was a roll-over convert.

Am I the only one who makes fegato alla veneziana?  Try getting the liver cut properly for that!  I've instructed a couple of the crew (can't call them "butchers") at Eataly, because I like the calf's liver there.

6 hours ago, Lippy said:

I love mine!

Yes, I was thinking of that. I have made it, and of course you wouldn’t dream of making it with beef liver. I cut it myself and indeed cutting liver small is not easy.

Thinking of recipes that call for finely diced liver. I have sharp knives, but wow. Hard work.