• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

Turnip greens are ok, carrot greens are not. So when you eat oranges to you eat the whole fruit or do you wastefully through away the skins?

The two last posts I made have terribly illiterate typos in -- must have had a skinful..

Never had a Savennieres - sounds interesting...must explore.

Closel Jalousie or Mosse Arena would be two good places to start, though there are others. 2010s mostly worked for me.

You could also seek out some of the Roche aux Moines wines--there is stuff with age in the market at very fair prices. They are (and remain) quite old-fashioned. Decant them if you have the chance.

Bay scallops (it's November!) with garlic, over Sea Island red peas and rice. The part of parsley in tonight's dinner was graciously filled by carrot greens.

You'd think it would be beyond even me to burn garlic -- but I am my mother's son. This was nevertheless pretty good. Thanks as usual to Lior Lev Sercarz for helping out with the spicing.

2010 Jean-Charles Rion Bourgogne Aligote

This is really the kind of food this wine is meant for. Boring by itself, the wine provides a bit of acid and a bit of mineral flavor to complement a forthrightly flavorful meal like this one (striving to be cuisine bourgoise, but ending up more cuisine boue). So with the food, it was kind of nice. Finishing it afterward, I'm struck by how bereft it seems by itself.

Never had a Savennieres - sounds interesting...must explore.

Closel Jalousie or Mosse Arena would be two good places to start, though there are others. 2010s mostly worked for me.

You could also seek out some of the Roche aux Moines wines--there is stuff with age in the market at very fair prices. They are (and remain) quite old-fashioned. Decant them if you have the chance.

The difficulty is that I live in Ontario Canada, and the LCBO is the devil.

Fat chance I will find any of those....perhaps eventually when I make it south of the 52 I will have a better chance.

The LCBO has a great website to show us how bad our options are. The only Savennieres available in Toronto right now (actually, in all of Ontario) are Domaine Des Deux Vallees 2012 and one bottle of Domaine du Petit Metris les Fougerais.

The LCBO has a great website to show us how bad our options are. The only Savennieres available in Toronto right now (actually, in all of Ontario) are Domaine Des Deux Vallees 2012 and one bottle of Domaine du Petit Metris les Fougerais.

And would you recommend either of these?

Anthony - yes, you can import booze through them (or through an agent) with min. 1 case requirements.