As Sadistick said, there's a minimum one case requirement, so it can be a pain in the ass (and you can go through a private agent) and you've got to pay the import duty. Don't get me started on the LCBO. It only appears profitable because the government treats the portion that would be paid on the private market as tax revenue as normal revenue for accounting purposes. It's also awful for wine education in Canada. I learned a lot of the little bit I know living in the states and forming a relationship with good local wine shops. The last thing the LCBO has is knowledgeable staff. In general, it's big producers and way more Southern Hemisphere (especially NZ Sauvignon Blanc) than I have time for.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

i happen to like Joly a lot, both the wines and the man; although the wines can show a lot of variation. i've tried maybe 5 or 6 bottles the 03 Serrant and a couple were bad, the rest had a lot of variation. but the best ones were fantastic.

Dom. aux Moines is literally next door to Joly and her wines are/can be terrific, too.

Sadistick, you may enjoy this article on Savennieres by Asimov - both of the wines Adrian listed did quite well in his ranking of 10 (and now i'm curious too as i have not tried either -thanks for bringing it up!):

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/26/dining/reviews/26wine.html?pagewanted=all

Had something yesterday for our friends up North.

2011 Burning Kiln Cab Frank (Cab Franc obviously)

A winery in Ontario that modernizes the old appassimento method by using tobacco kilns to accelerate and even out the drying process. I like it in an interesting way, not in a Abe Schoener kind of way.

Why do I ask, you ask?

Because the straight cab franc, despite being produced in Ontario is not available at the LCBO.

Wait, what? Yeah. Lots of local wineries will hold back inventory that they'll only sell directly from the winery or to private buyers.

I know.

Oh yeah, and most people defend the LCBO because they think the alternative is this:

5535734634_6fb7934e50.jpg

As Sadistick said, there's a minimum one case requirement, so it can be a pain in the ass (and you can go through a private agent) and you've got to pay the import duty. Don't get me started on the LCBO. It only appears profitable because the government treats the portion that would be paid on the private market as tax revenue as normal revenue for accounting purposes. It's also awful for wine education in Canada. I learned a lot of the little bit I know living in the states and forming a relationship with good local wine shops. The last thing the LCBO has is knowledgeable staff. In general, it's big producers and way more Southern Hemisphere (especially NZ Sauvignon Blanc) than I have time for.

For all the harping people in Quebec do about the SAQ, their selection of french wine is pretty good. A cursory look shows about 15 results for savennières, including 3 Joly wines. Prices are higher, but they are there. Similarly they have a decent jura selection. Anything not french, (though the italian selection is getting better) is pretty horrid. Small producers are not well represented either. Canadian selection is embarassing.

Gordo - is it a blend with merlot or a straight cab franc?

This is straight Cab Franc purchased directly at the winery.........who sent to me using all and every legal means necessary......

I've seen Burning Kiln at the LBCO but just the Merlot/CF blend.

With scrambled eggs with onions, salume, and various cheeses.

2009 J'en Veux!!!

A scrambled wine. Ganevat's Jura field blend of nearly 20 mostly unknown grapes, red and white. (This is the 2009 with the drawing of the man drinking beer on the label, BTW -- not the 2010 with the drawing of the lady masturbating.)

You wouldn't think a wine like this would improve with age, but every bottle I've had has been better than the last. The fruit isn't bright so much as sharp. The whole wine tingles with energy. It dances in your mouth.

Smoked pork shank with RG Flor de Junio "Silvia" beans, my proprietary Sneakeater Mix® of mustard greens on the side.

2007 Tinto Preto Prieto Picudo

My main dish was based on a Catalunyan dish, and it would have been nice to have a Catalunyan wine with it. But I didn't have one lying around.

It probably would have been best to have something a little rounder with this meal. But this was fully acceptable. The dark brambly fruit stood up to the highly-flavored bean broth (RG will never forgive me, but I put a lot of spice into this, rather than letting the wonderful beans -- and they really are wonderful -- speak for themselves). The sharp acid cut through the fatty meat.

Maybe a Cotes du Rhone with the leftovers?