• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

More of the Flor de Junio "Silvia" beans with smoked pork shank and stuff, braised mustard greens on the side.

Talk about a dish that gets better as it sits around. (Which is good, because it's seemingly lasting forever.)

2009 Clos du Tue-Boeuf La Guerrerie

Once again, since there's no one else here to do so, I must congratulate myself on this wonderful pairing.

This is the Puzelat brothers' Cot/Gamay blend. It's as easy to describe -- fruit 'n' funk -- as it is to drink. Provided you like this kind of barnyardy thing, of course -- as some here don't. But I do.

A fabulous pairing, really.

I had their pinot (Le Tel Quel?) a couple of days ago at the Green Man and French Horn

when I ordered it the manager said -- have you had it before? -- they practically ask you to sign a disclaimer that you won't send it back.

I had their pinot (Le Tel Quel?) a couple of days ago at the Green Man and French Horn

when I ordered it the manager said -- have you had it before? -- they practically ask you to sign a disclaimer that you won't send it back.

Tel Quel is gamay, grolleau, and sometimes pineau d'aunis. How old was the vintage?

So if you were expecting PN, you might have been surprised!

2011. -- Interesting -- I just checked and it does appear on the menu as Pinot Noir. It didn't taste anything like pinot, but that was to be expected anyway ...

natural Loire Gamay's don't taste much like Gamay either.

2011 Barda -- a Pinot noir from Patagonia -- so cool climate etc etc.

Started off tasting like a good but thin generic red burgundy from a good producer, but then put on some weight and developed

that very savory New Zealand pinot noir taste. I'll try it again I liked it a lot.

(ETA Bodegas Chacra is the winemaker)

2011. -- Interesting -- I just checked and it does appear on the menu as Pinot Noir. It didn't taste anything like pinot, but that was to be expected anyway ...

natural Loire Gamay's don't taste much like Gamay either.

You just don't get enough Clos Roche Blanche in your diet.

Bay scallops (OK, things get repetitious around here -- but I like what I like) and mushrooms and stuff over pappardelle, sauteed spinach on the side.

2009 Azienda Agricola Valenti Trebbiano d'Abruzzo

I wasn't planning to drink a $100 wine tonight. But there it was, and it so obviously would go with the food.

Abruzzo wine is a vast sea of mediocrity. Or was -- now, like everywhere else in the world, pretentious young producers are raising quality levels. But before, there were two good producers in the entire region: Emilio Pepe and the late Edoardo Valenti. Valenti died in the middle of the last decade, and his son took over the winery. On the basis of tonight's bottle, this is another of those cases where the son is doing fine.

Trebbiano has to be one of the most mediocre wine grapes in the world. Its main claim to fame is that, under its code name Ugni Blanc, it's the basis of Cognac. But nobody likes Cognac cuz they think the underlying wine is of any especially high quality. Most Italian Trebbiano is useless.

So why is this wine so good? Fuck if I know. I mean, if I did, then I could go to Abruzzo and make $100 wines.

But somehow, Valenti manages to turn out what I would even call a textbook Good Italian White (but better). Crisp. Spicy. Floral. Honeyed. Good fruit. Flavor lasts and lasts. Excellent with food, obvs.

I really wish I knew what they do to make this wine so good.

2011 Cos Frappato -- light and I guess juicy is the best word, very fresh, quite low alcohol, thin in a good way. Not complex, and not very nice 24 hours later. I'll get some more.

I like that wine.

Actually, on day two, there were some very interesting things happening on the nose. I had a glass of it left which I drank while cooking, and it tasted too thin, but all sorts of unusual aromas coming up.