• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

2009 Azienda Agricola Valenti Trebbiano d'Abruzzo

I wasn't planning to drink a $100 wine tonight. But there it was...

$100 trebbiano... Would you say it withstands comparison to $100 wines made from 'nobler' grapes?

My abysmal ignorance when it comes to Italian whites has become an increasing problem. I should probably frequent the bars at Maialino, Otto, etc, but the thirty/fortysomething scenes at the Maialino bar actively repel me.

His methods were apparently secretive, but he made only small amounts of wine from a very large estate (50,000 bottles from 170 acres), selling the rest of the grapes to the co-op. A different selection each year, it seems. Large wood in the cellar.

I liked the lotte aux carrots over celeriac puree so much that I tried it again.

This time, also aux celeri, as I had to do something with all the greens that topped the celery roots.

I may be getting overly sentimental over the last celery root I probably will ever buy from Bill Maxwell, but this seemed to me to be pluperfect. The sheer fragrance when I cut it into pieces to boil and then fit into the bunghole of my food processor was almost overwhelming. I don't think Bill will be replaced.

2009 Munzberg Weisser Burgunder Kabinett Trocken

A nice surprise.

Obvs, this wasn't going to approach the spectacular Valenti that I improvidently opened a few nights ago. But it's a very nice wine.

A Pinot Blanc from Pfalz. Pinot Blanc obviously is a nice match for this dish. And this is a very good Pinot Blanc.

The German wine industry is in a very good place. I don't approve of the new tendency toward dry wines -- that's why God invented Alsace -- but quality on the whole is indisputably on the upswing.

This flavorful, barely off-dry wine -- happily, this one doesn't really taste like an Alsatian wine -- is a good example. Apples, stone fruit, tropical fruit, spice, mineral, acid. Long.

Not a deep wine. But a very very good Tuesday wine.

2009 Azienda Agricola Valenti Trebbiano d'Abruzzo

I wasn't planning to drink a $100 wine tonight. But there it was...

$100 trebbiano... Would you say it withstands comparison to $100 wines made from 'nobler' grapes?

My abysmal ignorance when it comes to Italian whites has become an increasing problem. I should probably frequent the bars at Maialino, Otto, etc, but the thirty/fortysomething scenes at the Maialino bar actively repel me.

Nothing more fun at Otto oat Saturday lunch when a bunch of us 40somethings jump up on the marble after too many quartinos and fist pump while Dennis blasts "Who let the dogs out, Who, Who, Who, Who "!

I may not be able to waltz into my butcher and casually order some venison or partridge, but I've really worked out how to cook steak -- now that I'm not afraid to give it a good char. I have a method -- something that people here who actually know how to cook would probably find fatally flawed -- for getting it nice and charred on the outside, and cooked medium rare (not blood raw) on the inside.

So, a perfectly cooked (for me) ribeye, topped with some of my endless supply of carrot-green chimichurri, accompanied by some mashed golden turnip and also some Brussels sprouts roasted within an inch of their lives (I don't have a functioning oven -- but I do have a toaster-oven) just the way I like them.

2006 Propertia Sperino Uvaggio

This is another one of those Alto Piemonte entry-level wines that you wonder what to do with, hold-or-drinkwise. The makers always tell you to drink them young. But makers always tell you to drink things too soon. So, several years ago, I stashed this away. And, as is my wont, forgot about it. Maybe it would have been better a little younger. But I'll tell you this: it's better now then it was upon release. It really is better to hold these (within reason).

This producer has an interesting back-story. These are the guys who make the excellent Isole e Olena wines from Tuscany. But it turns out that the family was originally from the Alto Piemonte -- Lessona, to be exact -- and still owned a property there, the vines long ago torn up. A little more than a decade or so ago, they returned to that property, intent on reviving their winemaking there. (In the 19th Century, the Alto Piemonte was an incredibly prestigious appellation -- more highly regarded than Barolo itself.) Not surprisingly, they've had great results. (I'm especially fond of their rosato myself.)

This is their entry-level red wine: Uvaggio. These wines are typically blends of predominantly Nebbiolo with odd northern-Piedmont grapes, in this case Vespolina and Croatina. (Nux told me of drinking a pure Croatina on her recent visit to the Piedmont. I would love to try that.) They're thinner than Barolos and Barbarescos -- even than Nebbiolo Langhes. But they're sprightlier and tenser. While still maintaining that characteristic Nebbiolo tar-and-roses base flavor that many of us find so intoxicating.

I won't lie: this wasn't a great steak wine. It would have been better with a lighter meat: veal, to be ridiculously precise.

But it was good. Maybe it would have been better when the fruit was a little more alive. But it was still good. Really good. The fruit was still there, with all sorts of fascinating minerally secondary flavors.

No great length: this is in no way a profound wine. But it's an extremely sophisticated quaffer.

This is why I love eating and drinking at home. (And the pile of dishes is why I don't love it without qualification.)

Heat skillet over highest heat until it's smoking. Put in a seasoned butter-slathered (or oil-rubbed) ribeye. Cook three or four minutes on one side, two or three minutes on the flip. Turn off heat. Cover skillet. Let steak sit for another five minutes or so.

How thick? That sounds like quite a long time unless it is pretty thick.

I have a heavy cast iron thing that I sear steaks on but with our wimpy european steaks it is only about 2 minutes a side and then a rest in a warm place for a couple of minutes.

I do what Sneak does but I don't add the butter until I flip the steak and throw in some garlic and herbs. Then a baste the steak with the butter and herbs while on the second side for another few minutes. I would think that steaming it with a cover on would soften the crust. No?

Butchers here will slice off at whatever thickness you ask for, but NY style steak is pretty fashionable right now. I usually get about 1 to 1.5 inch cuts, do 5 to 7 on one side, 3 to 5 on other depending, rest a little but don't cover. What I'd love to get down is the "in the oven for x minutes at y degrees for z lbs" -- I really prefer carving off one big piece for having people over.

You need to rest the meat a little no matter what, to set it before cutting.

But I need a little cooking after burning a crust on. I guess the optimal thing to do is pop the steak in the oven for a short while at that point -- but I don't have a working oven. (Hey it might fit in my toaster-oven!)

Maybe keep cooking in the skillet on lower heat?