Bay scallops (OK, things get repetitious around here -- but I like what I like) and mushrooms and stuff over pappardelle, sauteed spinach on the side.

2009 Azienda Agricola Valenti Trebbiano d'Abruzzo

I really wish I knew what they do to make this wine so good.

Very tough times for our heroes.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

It's been a little while since I did a Saturday Night Fish Fry.

Herring coated with oatmeal, roasted Brussels sprouts on the side.

2009 Jean-Paul Brun Terres Dorees Cote de Brouilly

Duh. A Beaujolais.

This is almost a textbook New (as distinct from Nouvelle) Beaujolais. It isn't just fruit juice. It has minerals, and some kind of dark background.

And it ages: it's miles better than it was upon release -- but I might still have drunk it too young.

A beautiful wine.

It's been a little while since I did a Saturday Night Fish Fry.

Herring coated with oatmeal, roasted Brussels sprouts on the side.

2009 Jean-Paul Brun Terres Dorees Cote de Brouilly

Duh. A Beaujolais.

This is almost a textbook New (as distinct from Nouvelle) Beaujolais. It isn't just fruit juice. It has minerals, and some kind of dark background.

And it ages: it's miles better than it was upon release -- but I might still have drunk it too young.

A beautiful wine.

I will pick a fish bone with you. He does more a Burgundian process than most of the neighbors--he destems some, no real carbonic, long maceration, etc. So less froot, more structure. Not sure if that is New New or Old Old, but there you go.

With flounder roe, mushrooms, scallions, garlic, preserved Meyer lemon, and pickled ramps over linguine, with sauteed purple kale on the side.

2007 Cos Rami

Bingo. Perfect pairing. I win.

A blend of two Sicilian white grapes that we've kind of heard of, Insolia and Grecanico.

You expect anything made by Cos to be sort of insanely good, and in this case, you'd be right. Very floral nose, lemons lead off on the tongue, followed by olives(!) and some herbs. It could have sauced that pasta dish.

Delicious! (Maybe too old -- but this is the way I like my wines.)

With flounder roe, mushrooms, scallions, garlic, preserved Meyer lemon, and pickled ramps over linguine, with sauteed purple kale on the side.

2007 Cos Rami

Delicious! (Maybe too old -- but this is the way I like my wines.)

I was wondering. I would have a jolt to find that in my cellar--yikes, waited too long! Glad it came through.

Bay scallops (OK, things get repetitious around here -- but I like what I like) and mushrooms and stuff over pappardelle, sauteed spinach on the side.

2009 Azienda Agricola Valenti Trebbiano d'Abruzzo

I really wish I knew what they do to make this wine so good.

Very tough times for our heroes.

that's terrible to lose all those vines. they will replant but...wow, 50 years

One of the good things about my new tendency to cook and eat at home is that I no longer have to fight my way through crowds on Amateur Night just to have a rushed meal produced by an overwhelmed kitchen.

One of the bad things is that I find myself alone in my apartment on Friday night (after having attended a dance performance), eating chops and listening to skronk. This is, I think, exactly what my friends worry about me.

Usually I'm too snobbish to buy shoulder lamb chops, but those are what my Meat Guy had at the Greenmarket last weekend, the loin and rib chops having all been dispatched to Union Square to make up for a late starting time there. Shoulder chops are pretty flavorful, though.

Housemade (artisanal -- maybe I should try to get a shelf at Empire Mayonnaise) carrot-green chimichurri on top; steamed pok choy and mashed parsnip on the side.

2009 Joel Taluau L'Expression St.-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil

RIP

(That's for the maker, not the wine.)

It may not be thought to be much to be the very best winemaker in St.-Nicolas-de-Bourgeuil, but that's what Joel Taluau was -- and he seemed pretty happy with it. As well he should have been.

St. Nicolas is between Bourgeuil and Chinon -- and that turns out to be a pretty good place to be. Chinons are generally heavier than Bourgeuils, and St. Nicolases are in the middle (maybe tending slightly more toward the Chinon side of things).

This is not a profound wine (but nor is it an expensive one: I think this bottle was less than $15). What do you get? You get fruit, you get herbs, you get minerals, you get some acid. (This wine sees no oak whatsoever.) It's not what you'd call complex -- but it's not a quaffer, either. The herbs see to that: this may be fairly simple, but it's interesting. And it loves food.

What it is, I guess, is a very good everyday wine. (Tonight is when I should have had my Big Deal International Style Bierzo.)

And nobody has to worry that this wine is too old or too young. I'd say it's just about perfect right now.

In the years before Joel died, his son-in-law started assisting him. I assume he's now taken over. As Joel just died this past June, nobody's yet had any wine his son-in-law made without him. I'm optimistic that the this producer's tradition of very high quality at very reasonable prices will continue.

Sitting at a thousand dollar a plate fundraiser dinner in Miami and someone just poured me glass of wine from a humongous bottle that was a personal gift from Helen Turley. It was too dark in the room and I am too drunk to read the label but it was an awesome red*. It was so good it could make me want to like red wine.

*got offered another pour, and it was an impériale of this Cabernet Sauvignon.

la_jota_vineyard_12th_anniversary_releas

2008 N'Antiichia Etna Rosso -- another Nerello Mascalese from 100 year old pre-phylloxera yadda yadda high up on Etna. Elegant and quite burgundian -- good acidity as one would expect and something very attractive on the nose.