Monkfish liver in tomato cream sauce over spaghetti. Sauteed spinach on the side.

This has the makings of a decent dish. Not yet, though.

2009 Roberto Ferraris Barbera d'Asti "Nobbio"

I wanted a simple, fruity, acidic Barbera. But when I reached into the Barbera pile, I came out with this instead.

Too "profound", perhaps, for this meal. Would have been better with some meat.

But still a good wine. No oak -- but the fruit is very deep, with all kinds of secondary flavors (herbs mainly).

• Like 2
  • Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

Oatmeal-fried herring with roasted Brussels sprouts.

When I made this a couple of weeks ago, I used a recipe that, although it was from a credible source (maybe even the New York Times), seemed like it shouldn't work. And, at least at my hands, it didn't.

This time, I just made it the way it seemed to me it should be made. Much better.

Also, last time, I drank much too grand a wine with it. This is herring fried in oatmeal, after all. Not this time.

2009 Domaine des Cretes Cuvee des Varennes Beaujolais VV

Not that this is some piece of shit. This is one of the better Beaujolais Villages I've had. In a blind tasting, you might even think it's a cru. But still, it is what it is.

Nevertheless, we're in the new world of High-Quality Beaujolais. This doesn't taste anything like grape juice. This is real wine: darkish fruit. But -- this is still Beaujolais -- Lots Of It.

I think this is a wine for the person who loves Beaujolais, and so (while he or she is cognizant of quality) doesn't need one of the Great New Beaujolais to derive a good deal of pleasure from it.

I am that person.

2003 Emidio Pepe Montepulciano with a steak tomato salad etc grabbed from the supermarket on the way back home kind of late.

Still a little young I think -- tannins not resolved -- good and very fresh, with a whiff of natural wine on the nose. Maybe not as good as I was hoping. Possibly I just drank it too quickly,

Speaking of shoulder lamb chops and the like, consider putting them in your stockpot, perhaps with some beans or lentils and flavorings. After cooking, you can just slide the bones out. The meat is melting, and tastes much better than grilled or fried. Beans soak up the fat. :)

German red wine -- in this case a Spatburgunder(= Pinot Noir) from Weingut Huber -- 2010 Malterdinger. I liked it a lot and O did not so I got to drink it all. Very savoury like a good NZ pinot noir; if I had tasted it blind that is where I would have gone. And a lovely freshness on the finish -- a good thing wine. But too expensive for what it is.

With some duck breast and sauteed potatoes and steamed purple sprouting broccoli.

I don't want to seem to be going all Single White Female on balex. Sure, I've stated more than once that I "want his life." Sure, I'd rather be eating the good-sounding food he has with the compelling and interesting O than eating the slop I have at my house, alone.

But I swear I planned on drinking this German Spatlese with dinner tonight before balex talked about his. I swear it.

The first of what will be many hits at the slow-cooked pork blade roast I made last night, with mushrooms, an insane amount of aromatics, and some RG rebosero beans, collard greens on the side.

2007 Okonomierat Rebholz Spatburgunder Spatlese Trocken "S" "Tradition"

(Even when they're outside the regulations, Germans love to heap terms into their wine labelings.)

German Pinot Noir remains such an unknown territory that you don't know what to do with them. Half of me thought I was leaving this bottle too long. The other half thought that a wine this not-that-cheap should be given some bottle age.

It turned out well -- for me. I think others would think it's fading fast. But I like the kind of post-fruit wine this has turned into. You don't get cherries or any of that other stuff that Pinot Noir grown outside of Burgundy usually shoves in your face. You get dark hints of old fruit, and then a lot of minerals.

Just what I like.

I wasn't going to write about this, since both the food and the wine are things I've mentioned before.

But, as the Young People constantly transmitting photos of everything they do are teaching us, the unreported life is not lived. So, here goes.

Duck breast (scored with a dog brush: I didn't think it was working, but in fact it was) in Concord grape sauce, sauteed mustard greens (the proprietary Sneakeater Mix) on the side.

2010 Montebruno Pinot Noir

Oregon Pinot Noir.

Someday it'll get there.

Not yet.

Some reheated pork blade roast and stuff, used as a topping over Pennsylvania Dutch pot pie squares (thanks, A!) as a sort of seat-of-the-pants mock-up of Maialino's (New York) great malfatti with roast pork (sauteed black kale on the side).

Perfect wine:

2004 Paolo Bea San Valentino Montefalco Rosso

I learned about "natural wines" eating and drinking at Franny's in Brooklyn. And the first thing I learned about was Paolo Bea.

Bea's thing is Sangrantino, but this fairly junior bottling is mostly Sangiovese, with some Sangrantino and Montepulciano added. Perfect for well-seasoned roast pork.

And -- if you like "natural wines" -- it's very good. There's that taste of the barnyard. But there's also plenty of fruit -- just not of the jammy variety. Sangiovese sour cherries mostly, of course. And quite tasty, backed with all the dark secondary flavors (chocolate! tobacco! some herbs!) that the other grapes, and Bea's style, provides.

I'm still holding my 2004 Chiantis. But I don't have much confidence in the ability of "natural wines" to age long. This is in a good place now.