Warm Beaujolais isn't as good as chilled, right? Seems duller. Doesn't it?

And "chilled" doesn't mean cold.

I don't serve Beaujolais at a different temperature than other red wine. Of course, right now, everything is pretty chilled.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read all these threads about these fabulous dinners people have at home, with photogenic, obviously labor-intensive food, and legendary bottles.   I can't speak for anybody else on this board, bu

If I'm not enjoying wine when I'm seventy, then my nieces and nephews are going to be stuck with a shitload of wine they won't know what to do with.   Or my next wife, who by then should be almost

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. Tossed with great care, I might add.

Posted Images

I actually have no idea how long it takes my freezer to freeze things. I'm sure it's pretty fast. There's also a button to push that turns the freezer into a sort of super-freezer that freezes things almost instantaneously. I haven't messed with that.

Oh right, you have one of those fancy appliances!

I'd actually intended to cook something tonight. But when I pulled the base of my planned side dish out of the refrigerator, I found that it had not survived my vacation as well as I'd hoped. Since the obvious replacement -- a passel of beans -- was not something I could whip up at the last minute, I was forced to pop some leftover from the freezer into the microwave to defrost (I hate microwave defrosts). Only half-understanding what the defrosting dish was, I picked out a wine.

The dish, it turned out, was a sort of modified, dumbed-down variation on a lamb tagine made over the summer. The wine turned out to be a better pairing than what I probably would have come up with had I fully understood what the dish was.

2009 Domaine de Robert Morgon Cuvee Tradition

See, if I knew this was a Moroccan-style dish, I'd have gone for something bigger from the South of France or Spain. Which would have been worse with this very highly spiced (although not hot) dish than this Beaujolais was. As a Morgon, it had enough heft to stand up to all the spices. But as a Beaujolais, it was thin enough to race along with them, rather than fighting them as a Big Southern Wine would have.

As I've said before, Patrick Brunet of Domaine de Robert is not a particularly fashionable producer, but he's one whose wines I enjoy very much.

Last night's 2005 Catherine and Pierre Breton Bourgeuil Clos Senechal was surprisingly open and fresh. Less in the way of tannin than the vintage promised, and some very pretty young fruit still. Almost enough to make me wish I still bought their wines.

It occurs to me that with this talk of "chilled" wine I'm being unclear.

What I mean is that I drink these red wines at cellar temperature rather than chambrering them. I don't mean that I actually "chill" them cooler than that.

No, I understand. What I was trying to say is that, while I understand that in warm climes reds like Beaujolais and some from the Loire are drunk cool as refreshment, I wonder why we would treat them different from other reds here. Personally I don't. But as ever. I may be missing something.