Wilfrid1

The Rise of Casual "Fine Dining"

No. The menu with the egg and turbot is 218, and the spend is nothing like what you imagine it to be. All I'm saying is you're basing your idea of jg dinner on not having eaten there. It's really a somewhat underperforming 2 stars with hospitality for the rich and famous, and not anything else you imagine it to be.

No. The menu with the egg and turbot is 218, and the spend is nothing like what you imagine it to be. All I'm saying is you're basing your idea of jg dinner on not having eaten there. It's really a somewhat underperforming 2 stars with hospitality for the rich and famous, and not anything else you imagine it to be.

I've eaten dinner at JG four times and the last dinner was about concurrent with your last dinner.

JEAN-GEORGES' MENU$218. Chef Vongerichten's Assortment of Signature Dishes
Egg Caviar

Diver Scallops

Caramelized Cauliflower and Caper-Raisin Emulsion

Young Garlic Soup

with Thyme and Sautéed Frog Legs

Turbot

with Château Chalon Sauce

Lobster Tartine

Lemongrass and Fenugreek Broth, Pea Shoots

Broiled Squab

Onion Compote, Corn Pancake with Foie Gras

Chocolate Dessert Tasting

It's not a "tasting menu" and everything is fine except you're not going to be treated well there unless you spend a million gazillion bazillion dollars on perfectly fine unexciting food and more than perfectly fine but not cheap wine, and that's the simple truth. How's that first bite of not the right menu agreeing with you?

That's ok. Anyway, I'm still not sure why you describe this clearly formal and expensive clubby restaurant as something else. (and I say that from the perspective of dining mostly in such places these days)

But then I've always been treated very well and I'm far from a high roller. The food has generally been us two-three star level in my experience with generally excellent technique and generally good (but not great) ingredients and a pretty clear perspective. If you're a New Yorker who likes this kind of dining, this is a good iteration of this kind of dining and a much better iteration of it then you find in Toronto, Boston, D.C., Chicago, mostly Montreal, and probably even sf*. This matters less if you have access to France and probably Tokyo, more if you live in NYC and like this kind of meal. So I'm not quite sure what you think I'm selling here.

*again, we're talking about this kind of bidet style here.

To be clear, I thought Adrian's point was, why whine about Chevalier and (more to the point) Juni when you can eat at Jean Georges?

Wait. I thought that Adrian's point was precisely that JG is a "clearly formal and clubby restaurant".

Right! If you want a restaurant that will SHO you a pretty good version of this kind of thing, this place is a good place to do this kind of thing.

To be clear, I thought Adrian's point was, why whine about Chevalier and (more to the point) Juni when you can eat at Jean Georges?

Sneak, if you are not careful, mediating like this could score you new Secretary of State.

The cross posts are great and yeah. There are a number of restaurants I would rather have eaten at on this trip - ko, Blanca, bf, etc. - but for one reason or another couldn't do them. But I like this style, not always, and I like jg (for reasons which I describe in my initial post - and yes, there are weaknesses) so I went with it.

Sadly, I cannot disagree.

I had dinner here with friends a month ago, and "underperforming 2 stars" is not an unfair indictment.

So they're inconsistent, then? Or are expectations just different between the various menus on offer?