lemon verbena--what is it good for?

there's 55,000 square feet of it at the csa. i feel i should bring a bushel or five home with me, but i don't know what one does with it (i have a vague memory of someone mentioning it in relation to preserves, but i'm done with the jam-making this year).

there's 55,000 square feet of it at the csa. i feel i should bring a bushel or five home with me, but i don't know what one does with it (i have a vague memory of someone mentioning it in relation to preserves, but i'm done with the jam-making this year).

It makes a good tea, hot or iced.

infused in gin?

Probably, or vodka.

There are lots of recipes for it on-line, but I've only used it for tea. so I can't vouch for any of them. I think it would make a very good sorbet. The flavor is like lemon, but without the acid.

Tea, totally, really good.

I love this stuff. Wonderful aroma. Put it in any dish where a lemony accent would work.

Also, if you're a dream detective, like Sax Rohmer's Moris Klaw, you need to keep a little bottle of verbena spray inside the lining of your hat to cool your brow in tense moments. That's what I do when I'm detecting dreams in a Sax Rohmer-ish sort of way.

Excellent infused in anything cream based – makes an astounding creme brulee.

ETA: I had a housemade lemon verbena soda at a restaurant in Portland ME (Hugo's) that blew my mind. I imagine it was a simple syrup heavily infused with the stuff, blended with very fizzy soda water / seltzer. Stuff of dreams.

I know you say you're done with jam making for the year, but it is great in jam. Last week I made apricot lemon verbena. And I'll probably make damson plum lemon verbena as well (it was hit last year). We also drink it in tisanes. It's great in ice cream - our favorite is lemon verbena buttermilk. Also, make a lemon verbena infused sugar syrup and poach fruit in it (stone fruits work well in this) - it makes a great simple dessert.

Guest Chocolata

I recently dined at bluestem in Kansas City, and we were served a Hawaiian butterfish in a lemon verbena broth. Incredible! They didn't provide spoons, so several of us just said "to hell with it" and picked up the bowls and drank the last of it.