Beer in a can?

NPR had a piece today about the growing interest in canned beer. For many years, beer in a can was considered bad beer by many fans. Good beer comes from a tap, or from a glass bottle.

But improvements in packaging, and an awareness of the carbon footprint of glass are changing that, the article says. Beer in cans is easier to haul into the wilderness, drink, compress the can, and pack it out. A can also excludes light, which degrades beer.

I spoke with the president of Straub Brewery in St. Marys PA a few weeks ago. They now brew a canned line which is packed for them in Rochester NY. Repeated taste tastes among experienced drinkers haven't been able to conclusively determine which is glass and which is plastic.

Beer

The important thing is that the all-important temperature-sensitive ink technology is compatible with cans, so I can tell whether they're cold or not. <_<

Coors has a special part of their beer brewery tour dedicated to the temperature sensitivity ink breakthroughs.

NPR had a piece today about the growing interest in canned beer. For many years, beer in a can was considered bad beer by many fans. Good beer comes from a tap, or from a glass bottle.

But improvements in packaging, and an awareness of the carbon footprint of glass are changing that, the article says. Beer in cans is easier to haul into the wilderness, drink, compress the can, and pack it out. A can also excludes light, which degrades beer.

I spoke with the president of Straub Brewery in St. Marys PA a few weeks ago. They now brew a canned line which is packed for them in Rochester NY. Repeated taste tastes among experienced drinkers haven't been able to conclusively determine which is glass and which is plastic.

Beer

I think canned beer's bad press has always been a bit snobbish. After all, most draught/draft/tap beer comes from a large stainless steel or aluminium keg. And I adore beer served in pewter, which I always thought was the best thing about Simpson's-in-the-Strand. Seems to add a certain tang and, apparently, maintains temperature better than glass.