Sign in to follow this  
Abbylovi

Storing Digital Photos

Yup. An earlier generation was a good interim solution for raw file storage. This isn't really archival, though. If you don't need raw storage, Google gives you a lot of storage for free, though, and is probably safer than having a hard drive that can be damaged.

I'd say for those really important files ( of which I have none), shove 'em onto an SD thingie as a 3rd backup not in "the cloud." Just in your drawer.

I'd say for those really important files ( of which I have none), shove 'em onto an SD thingie as a 3rd backup not in "the cloud." Just in your drawer.

The cloud backups are to ensure that your data are safe in the event of, say, a house fire. The concern isn't bit rot, it's that a force that destroys the external HDD sitting on your desk will likely also destroy the SD card sitting in your drawer.

I can understand that.

My father had a great solution for that: in a walk-in closet, which he had converted into his "office," he had a fireproof safe.

My family has been involved in scanning thousands of old family photographs. Thousands of pictures, some dating from the 1800s. We've used several joint shutterfly accounts, as well as several TB drives. Which go into safe deposit boxes.

Fortunately, many of the pictures are dated and ID'd (Uncle Al with Bert, Avon NJ 1935).

Our big concern now is Shutterfly goes fly-by-by. It's very convenient for relatives to dip in and take what they'd like.

Yeah, off-site physical backup is fine too, if you want to do that.

The question is really how paranoid you are and how much/what you want to store. If you're storing many TB of raws, then most cloud solutions are impractical – but honestly raws aren't a good archival format anyway. If you're storing JPEGs and you still have multiple TB... err, then something weird is happening.

Rail Paul isn't storing RAW images. He and his family are scanning old photos into JPEGs. His method of backup is efficient and sound.

Not quite. The math works like this:

A 24 megapixel JPEG is something like 2 to 5 MB. If you're storing those, you can store a few hundred thousand of those per terabyte, which is the scale of storage that's feasible from, say, Dropbox.

For raw storage? I've gone through over 100 GB of raws in a single day, so that's enough where using the cloud isn't really practical, so maybe an external hard drive in a safe deposit box is your best bet if you want to be safe.

I'll say it again - Rail Paul isn't storing RAW images. I strongly suspect that most people here also don't shoot photos in the RAW format. And anyone who does already knows that RAW files are significantly bigger than JPEGs.

Anyway, I'm going to drop this point.