Tried Delancey last night for the first time and have to say that my quest for great pizza in Seattle continues...

Given the paucity of toppings, Delancey is going for a pizza that features the crust, nothing at all wrong with that. To my tastes, great pizza crust should have a crisp layer on the bottom,but also some chew to it, a delicate balance. Delancey's pizzas are all chew and devoid of crispness, much like most of the Neapolitan style places around here. I did like the flavor of the dough slightly better than Via Trib. Overall, the pizza didn't hold a candle to what I had at Apizza Scholls last month. I wonder if all the pub leading up to the opening and the talk of visiting the great pizzerias around the country to learn proper techniques ends up doing a disservice to Delancey. It certainly heightened my expectations. I did love the burrata appetizer and I give the crew top marks for service and for comp'ing a pie that was missing an ingredient.

OK, I have got to try Apizza Scholls. Somehow I've missed it in every Portland visit. Ken's Artisan Pizza in Portland was very good.

I encourage those who haven't tried Delancey to keep your heightened expectations, because the pizza is just as good as I hoped it would be. I love the flavor of the dough and the fresh taste of the tomato sauce. I also appreciate being able to pick up a slice and bite into it; while the center crust isn't crispy, it has just enough structure. Go early, or get a group together and reserve the big table. Matthew, Iris, and I had a great time eating pizza at the bar on our last visit (the bar has five stools, and is prime viewing area for the pizza oven).

Yes, the owners are friends of ours, but we don't make the long trek from Capitol Hill unless we REALLY like the food. Funny that two of our favorite places--Lunchbox Lab and Delancey--are within a few blocks of each other, both two long bus rides away. They're worth it!

tighe, I realized after I posted that my reference to "long trek" would seem weird to you, since you went all the way to Ballard from the deep South. It's just that with so many restaurants we can walk to (Dinette, Cafe Presse, Monsoon, Kingfish, Poppy...), if we take a bus somewhere, that means we really like it, and if we take TWO buses (or get a ride with Richard and Judy), that means we really, really like it. Cafe Besalu is probably the place I tend to think about wistfully most often.

tighe, I realized after I posted that my reference to "long trek" would seem weird to you, since you went all the way to Ballard from the deep South. It's just that with so many restaurants we can walk to (Dinette, Cafe Presse, Monsoon, Kingfish, Poppy...), if we take a bus somewhere, that means we really like it, and if we take TWO buses (or get a ride with Richard and Judy), that means we really, really like it. Cafe Besalu is probably the place I tend to think about wistfully most often.

Travel time for me is less than 30 mins since its a straight shot up 99, so nothing crazy. Now that I'm driving the daily SCDS taxi up the same route, it didn't even seem out of the ordinary! :blink:

A few clarifications on my initial post. First, if this style of pizza hits the sweet spot on someone's personal preferences, then yes, its probably great pizza, just not the case for me. If Delancey were in my neighborhood and it wasn't an ordeal to get a seat, I'd be perfectly happy eating there semi-regularly, but its not, and for me its not worth the extra effort/inconvenience compared to closer options. As you point out Laurie, the lack of the soggy middle, so frequently found at places like Tutta Bella and Via Trib, is a definite plus, but I think Delancey accomplishes it by having a thicker crust, not through better/hotter cooking. Observing the oven, I wonder if Delancey's oven is hot enough becaus I saw a lot of flame inside. Now, I don't know squat about pizza ovens, but I know from grilling that flame does not equal high heat.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been also and although good I don't think I'd go and wait 40 minutes again. I'd wait 15 minutes though. The pizza and crust were both great, I think I need to do a Delancey and Veraci side by side as Veraci is my go to pizza...

The chocolate chip cookie with sea salt for dessert was awesome!!!

• 1 year later...

Since I find the lack of enthusiasm for Delancey on this forum rather disturbing, I thought I'd post pics of some of the pizzas I've had there. Hopefully these convince those on the fence to get their asses to Delancey post haste. Know right now that while I haven't eaten at EVERY pizzeria in Seattle, I have tried a number of them, and none have come close to the quality of pies at Delancey. But as I said, I still have plenty of pizzas to try.

Delancey_Margherita_small.jpg

Delancey_Pepperoni_Pie_2_small.jpg

Delancey_Brooklyn_Side_View.jpg

Delancey_Sausage_Pie_2_small.jpg

I'm going to start a separate thread asking where you get your favorite pizza. Travel & Leisure Magazine recently released a joke of a list placing Seattle well below cities such as Anchorage; Portland, Maine; and San Juan, Puerto Rico(!!!) on the "Best Pizza" list. I know we're better than that.

@prasantrin: Trust me, it's not too charred. It's just right (but the low light does make it look a little darker than it actually is). You need that level of char to get the smokiness of the wood imbued into the flavor of the crust. I've seen those pics from Di Fara you're talking about, and yes, those definitely soared past charred and went straight to burnt.

I'm curious, what do PNW'ers think of Tutta Bella and Via Tribunali?

I think Tutta Bella is OK and Via Trib is pretty good. Neither are likely to make you forget what you ate in Naples. IMO, the best Neapolitan style pizza in town is being made at Filiberto's in Burien, but they don't have the Verace Pizza Napoletana cert, so nobody pays attention.

I'm curious, what do PNW'ers think of Tutta Bella and Via Tribunali?

I think Tutta Bella is OK and Via Trib is pretty good. Neither are likely to make you forget what you ate in Naples. IMO, the best Neapolitan style pizza in town is being made at Filiberto's in Burien, but they don't have the Verace Pizza Napoletana cert, so nobody pays attention.

I think the VPN certification has gotten slightly out of hand. I've eaten good very VPN pizzas (Tutta Bella and Via Tribunali, for example), but the best Neapolitan-style pies I've eaten came from places that didn't have the certification. By tweaking the rules slightly (or just not caring about obtaining the certification in the first place), pizzaioli can produce a better pizza. So I'm curious to check out Filiberto's (there was a brief but entertaining article about the owner, Mina Perry, in the March 2010 Seattle Magazine).

Those pies are burnt, esp the first two. When I worked in Naples, the old guys would refer to such pies as having a case of the 'black measles.' :lol:

I'm sorry, but you just don't know what you're talking about.

I would eat at Delancy more if the wait were tolerable, or if you could make a reservation. It doesn't seem like a well run place to me--the fact that large parties can (and do) reserve means that there are 3 large groups taking up most of the restaurant, and everyone else is competing for the 5 small tables or 5 seats at the bar. and I didn't think the kitchen was able to handle the volume, either--while our food came within a decent amount of time, I noticed that it took the groups forever to get their (an hour to get the salads; a pizza that had been forgotten about and came as another group was preparing to leave).

I like the Via Trib on Capitol Hill--the Fremont one wasn't as good, on my one visit. I like Veraci a lot though I tell them to skip the dried oregano on top--otherwise they dump a bucketful on. Veraci has a great caeser as well.

@prasantrin: Trust me, it's not too charred. It's just right (but the low light does make it look a little darker than it actually is). You need that level of char to get the smokiness of the wood imbued into the flavor of the crust. I've seen those pics from Di Fara you're talking about, and yes, those definitely soared past charred and went straight to burnt.

Emphasis added.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense at all. Ever heard of BBQ?

Those pies are definitely over cooked.

Emphasis added.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense at all. Ever heard of BBQ?

Those pies are definitely over cooked.

A charred pizza crust and carbonized meat are two entirely different beasts, and comparing the two is pointless.

I'm not trying to tell you that you don't know what you like. If you don't like pizza cooked to this level, then hey, you don't like it. Nothing wrong with that. But to call the pizzas in the photos above "burnt" is inaccurate, plain and simple. This isn't subjective. Your opinion on what you like is. (But you should join me sometime and try Delancey and see if you still think it's burnt).

Now this is an overcooked pizza!

burnt%2Bpizza.jpg