It's a green leafy veg on thin stems coming off a thicker stem, looks a bit like lambs quarters but leaves are bigger (some as much as 2 inches across) and shaped something like ivy but thinner. The leaves have a cucumbery flavor. The Latina lady at the stand said to chop it and make soup with onion and chiles. Anyone know anything anything about it? Googling was no help.

Thanks (I hope).

It was a farmstand at the City Hall Greenmarket, the one that says "No Pesticides." I think the farm is in Goshen, NY, but I've never seen an actual name on their banner. I really like their vegs and lettuces. They're the ones with the conical cabbage. They're at Tribeca on Saturdays, iirc, so maybe tomorrow I'll go over and talk to them again.

Cathy -- thanks, but nothing looked like what I have. But now I'm drooling. :lol: Thanks goodness Paul comes home tonight, and I have to start cooking again.

It's a green leafy veg on thin stems coming off a thicker stem, looks a bit like lambs quarters but leaves are bigger (some as much as 2 inches across) and shaped something like ivy but thinner. The leaves have a cucumbery flavor. The Latina lady at the stand said to chop it and make soup with onion and chiles. Anyone know anything anything about it? Googling was no help.

Thanks (I hope).

Chaya? This seems unlikely, given your description, but I'm sitting here with Ricardo Muñoz's Diccionario Enciclopédico de Gastronomía Mexicana open to achate (no entry even close) and to chaya (I don't think so, but who knows!)

Ask again next time you go--ask the vendor to write it down for you and I'll find it.

So far, chaya comes closest. These leaves look as though all the deep cuts between lobes were filled in. Otherwise, it could be the same. (I doubt the tiny taste I took of the raw leaf will hurt me, at least I hope not. :ph43r: ) I will check tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help. :)

Now, that's a good possibility, that they're chayote leaves! See the picture a little ways down on the right here and next to "Usage" here. That's exactly what the leaves I have look like. And the flavor of the tiny taste I took was cucumbery, which makes sense with another green squash (pepo). That taste didn't kill me, so I don't think it was poisonous, as chaya leaves are.

I love chayote -- very often buy a few in the supermarket and then dice and steam, or grate, or slice and bake, or stuff (it's aka mirliton) -- a very versatile veg, and it keeps pretty well in the veg bin.

Of course it all makes sense now. It's that game of charades I sometimes have to play with manuscripts ("sounds like . . .?"). Thanks, Jaymes, you are brilliant! :wub:

Golly, thanks.

:blush:

You'll have to let us know how your dish turned out. I know a lot of people, especially in Asia, make a tea out of chayote leaves. They say it's good for all sorts of disorders.