Very helpful, thanks.

I will do Pichet one day and either One Pico or Gueleton the other. Gueleton looks best for vegetarians, but no reservation policy is a minus.

Given a 6pm opening for One Pico and a 7:30 curtain for most shows, seems hard to do it pre theatre. Pichet is open at 5:00, making it much more relaxed.

I'll be sure to take note of the pub recommendations! I assume they are all within walking distance of the old part of Dublin (I'll be at the Westin, which I believe is centrally located).

• Like 6

Just booked the Pearl Brasserie in Dublin. Not sure if we should go for a late lunch or an early dinner since we need to be back at the pier by 8pm-ish.

Anyone been?

I have been to Pearl but quite some time ago. My memory is that it was fine but no more.

At that level in Dublin, I'd be hard pressed to look beyond Pichet. I had dinner there again a couple of weeks ago and really it is very good.

I have been to Pearl but quite some time ago. My memory is that it was fine but no more. At that level in Dublin, I'd be hard pressed to look beyond Pichet. I had dinner there again a couple of weeks ago and really it is very good.

I had a very nice lunch at Pearl last visit, but like IanT prefer Pichet if I had a choice, especially if it were a short visit. Pearl is more formal than Pichet, and was full of loudmouths from the government buildings across the road (you'll see them sloppy drunk at Doheny & Nesbitt later). A late lunch should be quieter.

How long are you staying, Rich?

The trip is 17 days, but only one day in Dublin and it's a Monday. I think Pichet is closed on Monday by I'll check again. Thianks to both of you.

We had an excellent lunch the other day at the Marco Pierre White Steakhouse and Grill. Usually these named places give me pause, but we were very hungry, and it had just started to rain, so in we went. Very pleasant staff, wonderful bread and butter. The 2 course lunch for €25 was a bit on the high side for me, as far as lunch goes, but the quality and flavor were terrific. I had the asparagus and hollandaise starter, grilled pork chop with bernaise for the main. Husband opted for the Bayonne ham and celeriac slaw starter (still thinking about this one), and the salmon with peas and cress. Just a delightful meal all around.

Next stop was the Sheridan's Cheesemongers around the corner for some lovely creatures to take home. We are housesitting down in Bray for the next few weeks, just a short trip on the DART up to Dublin, where we will explore more. And bring umbrellas.

Any recent reports? IanT? Cheesemonger?

I'm sure I'll go to Pichet for dinner and L'Gueuleton for lunch, but I'm only in Dublin for a few days before heading to West Cork. Prefer less formal, although I may try to get back to Chapter One for lunch if I can get a res. I'll probably go to one or more Dublin Fringe shows, so pre-theater and/or late night recs in the city centre would be great. Thanks!

Sorry, just saw this now.

I haven't spent much time in Dublin in the last couple of years. I did get to try Greenhouse for dinner 6 months ago and it was pretty good, albeit somewhat disappointing given I had heard so many good things.

Sorry, just saw this now.

I haven't spent much time in Dublin in the last couple of years. I did get to try Greenhouse for dinner 6 months ago and it was pretty good, albeit somewhat disappointing given I had heard so many good things.

Thanks, IanT. I'd also heard good things about Greenhouse, but I wasn't going to get to it this trip anyway. Now it drops a few places down the list for next time. Pichet told me they'd be closed for renovation while I'm there, but I'll try to get to L'Gueuleton if I have time. I've booked Pig's Ear and Vintage Kitchen so far.

I only have 3 days before I head to West Cork, so with Fringe shows and pints with friends each evening, focused dining in Dublin will be minimal this time. I'm staying right near Leo Burdock's, so I'm sure one pub night will end there :)

Hi Blondie,

I'm a mouthfuls slacker for sure. I hope you are having a wonderful time, but the only for sure thing I can recommend is to hit up the Sheridan's Cheesemongers, get some lovely bread and head to St. Stephens Green.

Sheridan's has some great items that are only available locally, and will be happy to help you.

Hi Blondie,

I'm a mouthfuls slacker for sure. I hope you are having a wonderful time, but the only for sure thing I can recommend is to hit up the Sheridan's Cheesemongers, get some lovely bread and head to St. Stephens Green.

Sheridan's has some great items that are only available locally, and will be happy to help you.

Thanks, I'm off to Cork already :) It's a good suggestion, and I'll probably make it a point to do just that next visit. I've been a Sheridan's customer since 1996, as I was living in Ireland when they opened their first shop in Galway, and the next year in Dublin. Since I'll be down in West Cork starting tomorrow visiting Durrus and Gubbeen, I decided to not worry about getting my fill of cheese in Dublin :)

I had tickets to a show the first night I arrived, so had the early dinner menu at The Pig's Ear. Crispy pork croquettes, slow-cooked duck leg with toasted oatmeal crust, and their signature cheesecake in a jar with Hobnob crumbs. Everything was spot on, and it was great value at 26.95 for the 3 courses.

When I get a chance, I'll post about my lunches (yes, more than one) at Vintage Kitchen. If you're going to Dublin, I'd make it my #1 priority, but note that dinner reservations need to be made 3 months in advance. Lunch is a bit easier.

Now I'm off to Ballymaloe for dinner and a Jack Lukeman show.

NYT visits Dublin and finds over stuffed sandwiches

Green Bench Cafe in Montague Street for a slow roasted brisket sandwich.

147 Deli in Parnell Street for exotic fillings, like bbq sandwiches

Brother Hubbard for poached chicken with harrissa mayo

Cotton, Oxmantown and others.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/07/travel/dublin-restaurants-st-stephens-green.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=6&pgtype=sectionfront

Howdy. I'm headed back to Dublin area for a month or so starting this weekend. I'm staying a bit south of town, so am looking for some nice lunches to enjoy in town.

Is Vintage Kitchen still a must?

Edited to add- those sandwiches look pretty great, will do recon and report back.

Howdy. I'm headed back to Dublin area for a month or so starting this weekend. I'm staying a bit south of town, so am looking for some nice lunches to enjoy in town.

Is Vintage Kitchen still a must?

Edited to add- those sandwiches look pretty great, will do recon and report back.

I haven't been back since September, so maybe check some more recent reviews, but that will be the first place I book when I go back. They have their shit 100% together.