Line caught = better taste?

I know it is environmentally more correct, but does line caught actually taste better? They cost a lot (several thousand US$ each), because there are only maybe 3 or 4 line caught oysters available on the open market each season. Hopefully, the practice will be adopted by more and more oyster catchers, and the price will go down, but at this time good luck finding any. I enquire in every restaraunt I eat in, and receive in return dumbfounded stares or entirely inappropriate guffaws. People are so ignorant.

I know it is environmentally more correct, but does line caught actually taste better? They cost a lot (several thousand US$ each), because there are only maybe 3 or 4 line caught oysters available on the open market each season. Hopefully, the practice will be adopted by more and more oyster catchers, and the price will go down, but at this time good luck finding any. I enquire in every restaraunt I eat in, and receive in return dumbfounded stares or entirely inappropriate guffaws. People are so ignorant.

I don't believe I've ever heard of line caught oysters before this post. For the moment, I'm considering how the oyster would gather the hook / line into its aperture?

Oysters are conventionally caught by scraping the bottom of a waterway with a rake like device, I think. Or, more often, raised in captive oyster beds.

They are much cheaper in Puerto Rico. Local fishermen have been line catching oysters, clams and other bivalves for centuries since before the Spanish Conquistadores came to the Island. Taino indians had other methods too. They used a thin arrow to hurt the oysters while little precolumbian dogs fetch them and kept them alive. The Condado area has the largest line caught oyster restaurant in the Caribbean. No reservations though.

I've never heard of line caught oysters either. Are you referring to finfish like cod?

I'm with RP, raked or dredged from beds oyster by oyster or grown in mesh bags in in the water. They check the bags periodically and harvest them when they are mature.

Here's a link to Island Creek Oysters in Duxbury, MA..about an hour S of Boston. Excellent oysters. I believe Tom Keller uses them. This shows how they harvest their oysters and if you look around the site you'll see some pretty New England scenes.

http://www.islandcreekoysters.com/farming

They are much cheaper in Puerto Rico. Local fishermen have been line catching oysters, clams and other bivalves for centuries since before the Spanish Conquistadores came to the Island. Taino indians had other methods too. They used a thin arrow to hurt the oysters while little precolumbian dogs fetch them and kept them alive. The Condado area has the largest line caught oyster restaurant in the Caribbean. No reservations though.

This is just awesome.

This is just awesome.

M. le Président, are you talking about the oyster catchers that pluck out their own feathers to make the arrows? Wouldn't the price come down if they used driftwood splinters from sunken galleons instead?

We use the tickling and noodling* method.

* 301 KAR 1:410. Taking of fish by other than traditional fishing methods.

RELATES TO: KRS 150.010, 150.025(1), 150.120, 150.170, 150.175, 150.235, 150.360, 150.370, 150.440, 150.445, 150.620, 150.990

STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 150.025(1), 150.440, 150.470, EO 2008-516

NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 150.025(1) authorizes the department to promulgate administrative regulations pertaining to the taking of fish. EO 2008-516, effective June 16, 2008, reorganized and renamed the Commerce Cabinet as the new Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet. This administrative regulation establishes the procedures for taking sport and rough fish by other than traditional fishing methods such as: underwater spearing, and "scuba diving", sport fishing trotlines, jugging and setlines, the taking of rough fish from backwaters, gigging and snagging, tickling and noodling (hand grabbing), and bow fishing.

I've never tried "jugging" but this is what it is. http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Basics-of-Ju...s&id=837601

I first thought it was "jigging" which is basically bouncing a lure off the bottom to catch fish. Among some fisherman, if you're going for tuna; and nothing happens, you start jigging for cod. A common joke over the radio amongst friends is to ask another boat if you're jigging yet?..:)

Here's a photoset from a very successful final trip of the season.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61246842@N00/...57622515168689/

Could have put this on the "supper thread" too. I never thought I'd get sick of eating fresh tuna..but it happened..:)

Could have put this on the "supper thread" too. I never thought I'd get sick of eating fresh tuna..but it happened..:)

Sir, I believe you meant that for the "when complaining is really bragging" thread :)

(I believe the term is hand-gathered rather than line caught when referring to shellfish.)

Ha..could be in that thread too...:) You know fishermen, always braggging and/or lying. You should have seen the 1 that got away :lol:

Line caught vs most commercial caught fish; no comparison. The line caught comes in with minimal bruising and is quickly iced and served. Other methods are dragged in by net, in which they get dragged around in for a little while and banged around with 100s of other fish and maybe spend a week or so on the boat before ever reaching shore..well iced but still..or caught on long lines where they may fight and struggle for their lives for a day or so..damaging the meat that will end upon your plate.

Sir, I believe you meant that for the "when complaining is really bragging" thread :)

(I believe the term is hand-gathered rather than line caught when referring to shellfish.)