White Truffle Possibilities

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like every year, I continue in my pursuit of reasonably priced (relatively) and delicious all-white-truffle menus. I've sent an e-mail to ADNY asking about this, and will visit the $50/person place

I went into Buon Italia last winter to get some rice, and the whole back of the store reeked of truffles. I floated back on the aroma to discover a couple of people unpacking what was essentially a s

The pierogies are nuxbait, right?

• 3 weeks later...

so is Gusto:

TARTUFO BIANCO di ALBA

CROSTINI AI FUNGHI CON UOVO

crostini - wild mushrooms & soft organic egg

FETTUCCINE al BURRO ed ERBA CIPOLLINA

fresh fettucini with butter and chives

POLLO al TARTUFO con PATATE

boneless heirloom chicken stuffed with white truffles on potato puree

dishes can be ordered individually or as a tasting

haven't had any white truffles yet this season - November is peak time so it's all ahead.... one thing is sure, it ain't gonna be the $1,000-per-person-2-person-minimum Sea Grill dealie :P

Babbo's vintage tasting series has a white truffle menu with Italian wine from magnum at $695/person. Del Posto has a white truffle menu at $250-300 (don't recall exactly where in that range).

Daniel has a single dish (some type of pasta) at slightly under $100 (I vaguely recall). I had the quite good grouse dish, stuffed with a coarse foie gras, with brussel sprouts and a Barbery (sp) jus. They were serving Pichon Baron from the early 2000s (not 2000) at $30/glass. I almost always order grouse when it's on the menu in NY.

Del Posto i think is $295, wine pairings $105. no idea how many courses.

a plate of tagliatelle showered with white truffles in Torino - 30 euro

BUT husband just back from Piedmont with some goodies!!! now i need to decide on what i want them over - decisions, decisions! and he brought some Barbaresco to go with it, and jamon iberico, chianina ragu and lots of other yummy stuff, can't wait to try it all!

practical consideration - without a truffle shaver, what's the best tool/way to shave them thinly?

From MUG:

Gaja Truffle Dinner

If we had a spare $385, we know how we'd spend it: at Scott Conant's Alto, 11 E. 53rd [5th/Mad] 212.308.1099, on Monday, November 13th, 7pm, when Conant cooks a five-course truffle menu that will paired with Gaja wines. Even the memory of drinking Gaja wines brings us pleasure, so the prospect of several vintages of Barbaresco (going back to the '85 vintage), not to mention Mr. Conant's cooking, may be as irresistible to some of you as it is to us. The evening is hosted by Sergio Esposito of Italian Wine Merchants.