White Truffle Possibilities

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like every year, I continue in my pursuit of reasonably priced (relatively) and delicious all-white-truffle menus. I've sent an e-mail to ADNY asking about this, and will visit the $50/person place

I went into Buon Italia last winter to get some rice, and the whole back of the store reeked of truffles. I floated back on the aroma to discover a couple of people unpacking what was essentially a s

The pierogies are nuxbait, right?

We were talking about Sapori D’Ischia, in Woodside when there was a posting delay because I left MF to look up my old post on eG. I've gone back and added the name of the restaurant in my previous post to eliminate the possibility of confusion.

San Domenico never seems to update its web-site. I seem to remember the white truffle last year was less expensive than the price quoted by Fiamma. I will try to find out what's going on.

The $80 price at Per Se seems unattractive, as I suspect it is the price for a Per Se-sized dish, or what less esteemed restaurants call a "small plate", upon which relatively few truffle particles will land. Is that unfair?

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on past white truffle meals at San Domenico. I've never been to the restaurant but have been thinking about sampling the white truffle menu this fall.

Had the white truffle risotto dish at Per Se earlier this week. Quite generous but lacked the concentration I've previously experienced elsewhere. Perhaps in a couple weeks they'll be a bit more pungent.

Try searching either of the two sites I previously contributed to: I have written about such dinners, pre-dating Mouthfuls.

There may well be a full dress white truffle menu, but I have a clearer memory of a carte which indicated certain dishes as being suitable for truffle accompaniment. In addition to pasta dishes and risottos, there is usually an aged parmesan. If you seem to be the sort of person who likes white truffles, they'll prepare anything they have to hand. I saw some big-spenders there once who simply had the kitchen sending out fried eggs, which they smothered with large quantities of truffle shavings.

The "inutility" for me this year is that the former maitre d', Roberto, who knew me well enough, has retired. He used to put some good elbow work into grating my truffle. But I won't know the new truffle master. :D

Since you haven't visited, I would describe the cuisine as classic, conservative northern Italian. A red sauce-free zone. Any fish served whole is a good bet, as are the well-chosen, simply roasted meats (especially kid or any game).

There is no tasting menu for white truffles there, at least not based on last year. There is a separate menu with dishes appropriate for truffle shaving. Shaving is based on volume you request, and this year is $6/gram (is that the right metric).

The dishes are not so gastronomic that I would go there outside of truffle season. Even in truffle season, while the truffles are nice, some the dishes (e.g., egg raviolo) are more elaborate than necessary for white truffles. But I am thinking of going there myself, although I am tempted by the ADNY pricing for just the white truffle menu foodwise (I am every year, but don't end up going because I believe wine is grossly overpriced and I don't have a high regard for Ducasse's food pre-Delouvrier). I am also thinking about Fiamma (much more expensive at $75 for 6 grams -- almost double San Domenico), and as mentioned, will soon sample the $50 4-course meal in Queens.

Are there smaller, lesser known restaurants that have good truffle suppliers? And what about that place that is in the building of the Chelsea Wine Vault and that is a large truffle supplier (the one that is owned by the brother of the San Domenico guy or some other restauranteur)?

What about some place like Il Nido?

Obviously, L'Impero would be a very poor choice.

Are there smaller, lesser known restaurants that have good truffle suppliers? And what about that place that is in the building of the Chelsea Wine Vault and that is a large truffle supplier (the one that is owned by the brother of the San Domenico guy or some other restauranteur)?

What about some place like Il Nido?

Obviously, L'Impero would be a very poor choice.

Buon Italia and it is in the Chelsea Market. I think they may have some prepared foods to go but I don't believe it is a restaurant.

Based on a recent meal, I can't recommend Felidia in general, but the white truffles I had there last yr were quite good. Esp relative to the poor season. I believe they were a $50 supplement.

A $50 supplement is not bad. What were the shavings like (volume, thickness) to your recollection?

Buon Italia and it is in the Chelsea Market. I think they may have some prepared foods to go but I don't believe it is a restaurant.

They have some quite pleasant sandwiches out front, and a coffee bar, but it is primarily a large and interesting Italian food store. There are some nice things in there; I guess one could call and enquire about white truffles.

Based on a recent meal, I can't recommend Felidia in general, but the white truffles I had there last yr were quite good.  Esp relative to the poor season.  I believe they were a $50 supplement.

A $50 supplement is not bad. What were the shavings like (volume, thickness) to your recollection?

Generous, though not ridiculous. I've only been to the restaurant twice, but the standout dishes have all been basic pasta. The truffles were shaved over a very simple plate of linguini. Meat and fish dishes have been consistently poor, imo. If I return, it will be to split a handful of pasta dishes with the table. They have Radikon, which is a plus.

• 3 weeks later...
By the way, the current price at Buon Italia is about $2,650/lb. We might buy a couple of fungi this weekend to see what the quality is like.

Based on the progression of price declines, the truffles should be about $40 by early-December...

Enough to afford a bottle of water to go with it, I'd say.... :D