White Truffle Possibilities

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like every year, I continue in my pursuit of reasonably priced (relatively) and delicious all-white-truffle menus. I've sent an e-mail to ADNY asking about this, and will visit the $50/person place

I went into Buon Italia last winter to get some rice, and the whole back of the store reeked of truffles. I floated back on the aroma to discover a couple of people unpacking what was essentially a s

The pierogies are nuxbait, right?

Guest Suzanne F

Are truffles okay from Buon Italia? Not that I'm running to buy any -- it's just that sometimes they tend to be the Job Lot or Cheese of All Nations of Italian food, with stuff that is long past its prime. Of course, they also have some great bargains. So I'm just wondering . . . ;)

Do not go to the Buon Italia $50/person , 5-course "white truffle" tasting menu. ph43r: ;) Some diners (myself included) might perceive it as not involving what I consider to be even acceptable quality white truffles. Query whether where those "truffles" are sourced from -- they were so bitter and simply inedible. Only one dish had even noticeable shavings of such putrid "truffles", and some dishes contained no truffle or only truffle oil. This restaurant is also outside of Manhattan.

I don't trust Buon Italia

Guest Suzanne F

Different Buon Italia from the one I meant: I thought the truffles were available at the store Buon Italia at Chelsea Market. Is that the place you meant, Orik?

But thanks anyway, Cabrales. I certainly wouldn't trust a place that had a 5-course "white truffle tasting menu" for $50. You're quite right, and I'm sorry you had to have a bad experience last year for our benefit. ;)

Do not go to the Buon Italia $50/person ,  5-course "white truffle" tasting menu. ph43r:  ;) Some diners (myself included) might perceive it as not involving what I consider to be even acceptable quality white truffles.  Query whether where those "truffles" are sourced from -- they were so bitter and simply inedible.  Only one dish had even noticeable shavings of such putrid "truffles",  and some dishes contained no truffle or only truffle oil. This restaurant is also outside of Manhattan. 

I don't trust Buon Italia

Buon Italia is not a restaurant...

Are truffles okay from Buon Italia? Not that I'm running to buy any -- it's just that sometimes they tend to be the Job Lot or Cheese of All Nations of Italian food, with stuff that is long past its prime.

That sounds approximately like the opposite of reality (particularly when compared to the standards of high-end food retailers in the city)

Guest Suzanne F

Re: Buon Italia: Dried pasta made for the turn of the year to 2000, on sale in 2003 or 2004, and other items past their expiry, strike me as potentially past their prime. As have definitely been some cheeses I've bought there.

That said, I continue to purchase food there very happily -- I just watch for vacuum packs still vacuum-packed, and so on. Even items that are close to or past their dates, such as the saffron I just started using, which "expires" next month. And I do not -- cannot -- compare Buon Italia to the "high-end" retailers, because I don't shop in those places due to price and/or distance (D&D; Agata & Valentina; Eli's; etc.)

Hey, we know that brotherhood is not always a plus. ;)

I was at Tocqueville last two nights and their appetizer of risotto with white truffles was $100, which would be in line with $80 supplement at Cafe Boulud that was mentioned earlier. Fiamma's supplement is either $65 or $75 for 10 grams, depending on who happens to answer the phone, which at San Domenico would be $50. Didn't Fiamma charge $7 per gram a year or two ago? Seems that Italian restaurants always charge somewhat less than French ones.... So while I agree that Tony May has never been shy with pricing, he does have a direct source and has for years - I've seen trifolaus come in straight from the airport with suitcases filled with truffles, each individually wrapped in layers and layers of paper and plastic. I always thought that San Domenico's lower prices had to do with the direct source (no middleman) and not quality. And I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly. Italians come with truffles and knock on Italian restaurants' doors offering truffles every year. Not in droves but they do come. Plus, both brothers represent a bigger buying power. Jean Georges and Daniel cooked with truffles provided by Tony, too. I trust San Domenico's chef Odette implicitly when it comes to food quality, will ask her what she thinks of the truffles being offered right now. Peak season is generally mid-November. Early truffles may have worms and not fully developed aroma.

I would certainly appreciate hearing from Odette about this year's truffles. I have a lot of respect for her as a chef who actually cooks in her own kitchen, year in year out. The only poor meal I ever had at San Domenico was when guest chefs took over.

Hearth is serving white truffles. On several dishes - supplement is $50 per dish.

I had the pleasure of watching Marco purchase a couple this evening during service.

He's getting them from SOS Chefs on Avenue B. SOS Chefs is a big player in the mushroom scene in NYC. Retail and wholesale.

Can I say something uncool and unfoodie? I have now paid three times supplements for truffles of around $50--or more-- for truffled dishes. In NYC and in Paris (twice). Although it seems realy cool to splurge for such as smell, to my undistinguished palate it seems like a bit too much money for what it is. But that's just me. Shall I keep trying? ;) ;)