White Truffle Possibilities

One way I want to try them is in an egg infusion -- read somewhere that if you leave your truffles in a bowl with eggs overnight, the essence will permeate the shells, leaving a subtle  but unmistakable truffle undertone

Very true indeed. Although I would recommend putting them in an airtight jar etc and for about 2 days. You do get a true truffle essence, and you could use those eggs for so many other applications other than just scrambling them.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like every year, I continue in my pursuit of reasonably priced (relatively) and delicious all-white-truffle menus. I've sent an e-mail to ADNY asking about this, and will visit the $50/person place

I went into Buon Italia last winter to get some rice, and the whole back of the store reeked of truffles. I floated back on the aroma to discover a couple of people unpacking what was essentially a s

The pierogies are nuxbait, right?

But why would you want to keep your fresh truffles for two days in a jar? The truffle scent does permeate the egg shells but it all goes away as soon as you cook the eggs.

We just tried this two days ago in the south of france with a supremely fresh white truffle from Alba. The truffle that was kept for two days tasted so much worse than the one we ate practically immediately. What a waste!

You'd be far better off making scrambled eggs the day you got the truffles and shave those babies all over the eggs --much tastier and stinkier that way.

but it all goes away as soon as you cook the eggs.

a)not true at all b) practically every truffle that hits this body of land and is enjoyed day in and day out is approx. 5-15 days old and thats in the hands of the chef's or restaurtuers. Truffles need 3 days to mature from the time that they are harvested.

a)not true at all b) practically every truffle that hits this body of land and is enjoyed day in and day out is approx. 5-15 days old and thats in the hands of the chef's or restaurtuers. Truffles need 3 days to mature from the time that they are harvested.

actually he is sort of right. White truffle taste and aroma begin to disapate at i believe its 120 degrees. THats why my chef is extremely anil about adding chopped truffle and truffle oil, and truffle butter at the very end of the cookin process.

actually he is sort of right. White truffle taste and aroma begin to disapate at i believe its 120 degrees. THats why my chef is extremely anil about adding chopped truffle and truffle oil, and truffle butter at the very end of the cookin process.

Thanks Chopjwu12, but I am a she....at least the last time I checked. :lol:

bigglesworth, we tried the egg trick with the truffles last week because we wanted scrambled eggs with truffles, and we had bought more truffles than we could eat in one or two meals. The result was what I just said. We could smell the truffle scent in the eggs when we cracked them, but as soon as the eggs were cooked the scent dissipated. And that experiment was done with a extremely fresh, high quality truffle.

The problem with truffles you can get in this country is not how fast they are shipped and delivered here. The problem lies mostly with the oxidation, especially in white truffles which are far more delicate than the black ones. Before truffles could be shipped, they must be thoroughly cleaned of the dirt covering. Soil cannot be shipped, that's against US food import law. Understandable, all manners of biological thingies alien to this environment could have been transferred with the soil, but it's bad for the truffles. The dirt covering the truffles acts like a natural protection, preventing the truffles from oxidating too rapidly. Once the dirt is removed, truffles begin to oxidate in ernest...and it's not long before they are practically useless.

But why would you want to keep your fresh truffles for two days in a jar? The truffle scent does permeate the egg shells but it all goes away as soon as you cook the eggs.

We just tried this two days ago in the south of france with a supremely fresh white truffle from Alba. The truffle that was kept for two days tasted so much worse than the one we ate practically immediately. What a waste!

You'd be far better off making scrambled eggs the day you got the truffles and shave those babies all over the eggs --much tastier and stinkier that way.

truffle scent does go away after a while. especially when they shrink into ugly little nuggets.

altho' i have to say that i have had hard boiled eggs that have been left with truffles overnight and it was delicious. in fact, it hung around the room for several hours.

Well, I have to say that a lot of it is aromatics. 

it's pretty much all olfactory

Wilfrid, I finally had a chance to check with chef Odette at San Domenico about the truffles she's been getting. She is very happy with the quality - she only uses truffles from Piedmont (the Croatian ones are not as pungent). As I mentioned before, Tony May has had the same trifolau for years and he gets fresh shipment every week or so, some of which is sold to Ducasse and JG.

The going rate is 2,300 euro (about 2,600?) for 1 kg and the $5 per gram Tony May charges is very reasonable - not exactly a loss leader but not a huge money maker either. As far as I remember (last 4-5 years), he has always charged less than anyone else for white truffles - he has a great direct connection and San Domenico is perceived as expensive as it is... I'm definitely going in the next couple of weeks or so.

Gusto in West Village has some nice dishes with white truffles too - and not super-expensive. Fonduta with grilled bread for $25, if I'm not mistaken, and sunny side up duck egg with a side of crispy bacon for $35

they serve risotto and pasta with truffles as well but many places have those. the fonduta and duck egg were delicious and more exciting to eat than the usual suspects (i.e. risotto or pasta). even ate the bacon (i'm not a big meat eater), guess i'll eat anything if you shave fresh truffles over it...

Gusto in West Village has some nice dishes with white truffles too - and not super-expensive. Fonduta with grilled bread for $25, if I'm not mistaken, and sunny side up duck egg with a side of crispy bacon for $35

they serve risotto and pasta with truffles as well but many places have those. the fonduta and duck egg were delicious and more exciting to eat than the usual suspects (i.e. risotto or pasta). even ate the bacon (i'm not a big meat eater), guess i'll eat anything if you shave fresh truffles over it...

I want that truffled duck egg and bacon right now.

I had the ADNY white truffle menu recently -- I like Chef Esnault's cuisine considerably more than that of any of his predecessors (including D Elena), although I may need to revisit to better evaluation. :lol: Sommelier (the guy from Thomas Henkelmann) made a good wine recommendation.

Lettuce soup was interesting in a good sense, in carrying a bit of bitterness in the aftertaste which somehow accentuated the white truffle. Foie gras ravioli was appealing, notwithstanding that I found the tiny celery bits included in the dish unnecessary. Foie was well expressed in the dish.

• 10 months later...

Egg & Tartufi

Consommé/velouté de perdrix, vieil Armagnac, châtaignes torréfiées

Saint-Jacques de la pêche du jour grillées, salade d’herbes, nougatine d’ail

Pâtes imprimées truffe blanche, champignons sauvages, jus naturel

Veau de lait glacé au sautoir, blanquette de légumes d’automne

Brie de Meaux aux truffes

Composition de poires, moelleux aux amandes, granité de vin jaune

Menu 320 $

This year's ADNY white truffles menu. To me, the veal dish doesn't sound too great. :D

$320 before a drop of wine is drunk. I think for that dough I'd rather pick up some tagliatelle at Raffeto's or on Arthur Avenue and shave a blizzard of truffle over it. Or over a poached duck egg on a bed of polenta. Or a risotto. And drink some very good wine.

I even have a truffle shaver. :D

$320 before a drop of wine is drunk. I think for that dough I'd rather pick up some tagliatelle at Raffeto's or on Arthur Avenue and shave a blizzard of truffle over it. Or over a poached duck egg on a bed of polenta. Or a risotto. And drink some very good wine.

I even have a truffle shaver. :D

i'm there!